Can’t get Free Chlorine

LMSpang

May 24, 2020
Sunman, IN
Opened pool a week and a half ago. Bottom was thick sediment, algae? We balanced chemicals and shocked. Vacuumed several times. Was looking like everything was working but I have shocked with 8 gallons of liquid chlorine twice now, shocked with 8 lbs once and 10 lbs another time with Power Powder Plus 73 twice, once with 6 lbs of fresh n clear oxidizing shock once at the advice of Leslies. Every time I end up with no FC and a lot of CC. I can’t walk into that pool store one more time. They just keep telling me to buy more stuff. I’ve spent around $400 on chemicals so far this year! Everything I read kept telling me I had to superchlorinate to get to a breakpoint chlorination. My test kit only reads to 10 ppm on chlorine so I was guessing what that might mean as to how much chlorine to add. I was overestimating hoping that would work. I found this thread and read a lot. I’m guessing I need to SLAM it. I just ordered the K-2006C test kit which will be here on Thursday. Until then, how much chlorine should I add? I can’t wait for the test kit to come and leave my pool with no chlorine for 4 days. As of this morning Ph is teetering at 7.0-7.2 (kind of between colors), alkalinity 110, FC 0, CC 1, CYA 3. I also keep getting a small amount of residue in bottom of pool, maybe algae but water is crystal clear. Also, is it safe to swim in? Kids are coming over today and I know they are going to want to jump in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    842.5 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    576.9 KB · Views: 7
Hi, welcome to TFP! Did any of the tests give you a CYA level? We can use that to determine your chlorine level until the test kit arrives. It is safe to swim up to slam levels as long as the water is clear enough to see the bottom of the deep end. If you can tell us what your test results are according to the current kit you have we can advise you better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.