Can't dig to level yard due to utility lines buried across entire yard!!! What now???

SunniD

Jun 11, 2018
Bryant
I am in the beginning stages and called the service that marks buried lines. Turns out, they are literally buried across the middle of the entire yard. Like, the whole thing! It's a small yard to begin with and only 2 areas would accommodate a pool so without being able to dig out the ground to level the pool, what is my alternative?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Not sure you have much in the way of alternatives.
Are you sure you are even allowed by code to put an AG pool on top of buried utility lines ... assuming you could level it out?

About the only option would be to relocate the utility lines.

The code issues aside, for an option besides digging. ..I had 12 inches over the 16 feet of my pool. Built it up using "3/8 minus with fines" or "3/8 crusher dust" as it's also known around here. I was looking for 5/8 but only had a choice of 3/4 road base or the 3/8. Either way it is a compactable material and works great.

Thanks evwevery for responding so quickly! My yard is pretty bad lol, the phone and communication lines literally run from one back corner diagonally across the ENTIRE yard, so right through the middle! Still have electricity lines to be marked tomorrow sometime but when the phone guy was here he didn't act like it was a big deal if my pool was on top of these lines provided I wasn't digging out earth to level it, but what y'all are saying sounds legit �� The lines, though he said he was NOT allowed to tell me but did anyway, are 11 inches deep and he said could be closer to surface in some areas and deeper in some areas. I can add some pics tomorrow of the area but it's too dark to get anything helpful tonight. I'm actually building our pool completely myself, not purchasing a pre-fab or anything so it's 100% DIY, which does give me freedom to build in any shape or dimensions necessary, however with lines cutting through the middle of my flipping yard, sort of put a damper on what I've had envisioned for 3 months.

Is crusher dust like from a lime quarry or something like that? How would I keep it contained to the area under the pool, frame it out? Again, thanks for all your help and I'll post the pics of the yard and marked lines tomorrow!

Thanks evwevery for responding so quickly! My yard is pretty bad lol, the phone and communication lines literally run from one back corner diagonally across the ENTIRE yard, so right through the middle! Still have electricity lines to be marked tomorrow sometime but when the phone guy was here he didn't act like it was a big deal if my pool was on top of these lines provided I wasn't digging out earth to level it, but what y'all are saying sounds legit �� The lines, though he said he was NOT allowed to tell me but did anyway, are 11 inches deep and he said could be closer to surface in some areas and deeper in some areas. I can add some pics tomorrow of the area but it's too dark to get anything helpful tonight. I'm actually building our pool completely myself, not purchasing a pre-fab or anything so it's 100% DIY, which does give me freedom to build in any shape or dimensions necessary, however with lines cutting through the middle of my flipping yard, sort of put a damper on what I've had envisioned for 3 months.

Is crusher dust like from a lime quarry or something like that? How would I keep it contained to the area under the pool, frame it out? Again, thanks for all your help and I'll post the pics of the yard and marked lines tomorrow!

dang... that stinks.

what I would do:

1. Call utility companies
2. Be the nicest, sweetist booty kissing person you can be (dont be ashamed, its how the world works, you get more flies with honey, its a game learn to play it and you would be surprised at what you can get done) I once got our electric company at no cost to me to cut down the power line to our house that entered in via a roof tower and bury it 150 feet underground so I could build a home addition.
3. Speak to someone in charge
4. Offer up a bottle or a case if need be of their favorite adult beverage
5. Ask them if they can move the lines so you can put in a pool.
6. If told no, wait a week and call back, ask for a different person, try, try again. Be persistent, BUT BE NICE!

I agree with Gtnoss. Ridiculous to have lines crisscrossing all over your yard.

I’ve seen some installations where they built a sandbox, so to speak, out of wood, filled with dirt and compacted, then installed pool within frame. You can probably find threads on that by searching in the upper right corner.

If you are putting up an Intex style pool they are considered temporary pools by most jurisdictions so they may not give you grief for putting it up over utility lines. The bad part is they can demand you take down the pool if they need to access the lines underneath. Some people have built up a box filled with runs of crusher or decomposed granite to make a level surface for the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wouldn't be too concerned about where the cable/phone lines are honestly. As long as you're not putting your pool on top of a utility easement you should be fine. They don't put cable/phone lines very deep, they could even put them 6" down and that's allowed. If the rest of your yard is grass or loose rock, they could always dig a new trench to run a new line in the odd chance that something happened with the underground line. Any lines that go to neighboring properties should only travel through utility easements, so it sounds like the lines they marked go to your own house. That is to say, if the cable/phone lines pass through property that does not fall under their easement, then they needed permission from the property owner to run those lines on your property.

The decision maker for me would be where the electrical lines are buried.

...Is crusher dust like from a lime quarry or something like that? How would I keep it contained to the area under the pool, frame it out?

I framed mine out but you can taper it down if you want, just requires a bigger area and doesn't look as nice imo.

You want a roadbase material since that is specifically for compacting and stability unlike dirt and sand etc. I just don't like roadbase because 3/4 feels like boulders to me. 5/8 maximum size is nicer to work with for driveways, trails, walkways etc. I wouldn't go smaller than 3/8.

My cable company had a line that ran around the back yard and was cut during our build. I was like why would they do that?? When they came out they wanted to just put it back where it was and Im like that does not work for me at all. So they went thru the front yard and under the sidewalk which turned out great! Seems to me the various companies should work with you...

IT sounds like these are the phone/cable lines that serve your house. Most likely a rear yard feed coming off of a pedestal that is in a ROW off the back of your lot line.

You should be fine putting the pool over them. If your excavation is too deep, and it will hit the lines, ask to have them moved. They will call for a mark out, then once it is done, come by with a plow, and will plow in a new line. Depending on when you development was built and how it was built, sometimes things get changed and service drops go across yards. Most of the time, when placing buried service, they try to do so logically, along the edge of the property for example, but sometimes that does not work out. Other times it is a sub-contractor doing the work, and the shortest path (in other words, least amount of copper/fiber) is a straight line.

-dave

Number of things to consider for sure.

Size of pool (weight of water in it)
Existing soil type
Fence height

I had about 18 inches (at the highest point) over 18 feet to dig for my AG pool to level out to lowest point. While it was tremendously back-breaking work moving that much heavy clay (yes, clay), lowering it was so much better. If I had raised done what the PBs wanted to do and build up, my neighbours would all have a fantastic view of my family swimming and hanging out on the deck. So depending on how close your neighbours are and how high their properties are, building up to grade may not be the best option for privacy.

You said you were DIYing the pool, what's your build material? Consider the build material weight as well as the weight of your water. Over time, unless you do a really good job on compacting and building a retaining wall for your gravel, your pool will sink. How quickly and how much will depend on your climate, existing soil type, potential for washout etc... Where do you live, do you experience ground freeze?

All that being said, I agree with everyone above, ask your utility companies to move your lines. Once you have any gas/electric/sewer marked, you know where not to dig! Are you planning on running any new electric or gas to service your pool?

IT sounds like these are the phone/cable lines that serve your house. Most likely a rear yard feed coming off of a pedestal that is in a ROW off the back of your lot line.

You should be fine putting the pool over them. If your excavation is too deep, and it will hit the lines, ask to have them moved. They will call for a mark out, then once it is done, come by with a plow, and will plow in a new line. Depending on when you development was built and how it was built, sometimes things get changed and service drops go across yards. Most of the time, when placing buried service, they try to do so logically, along the edge of the property for example, but sometimes that does not work out. Other times it is a sub-contractor doing the work, and the shortest path (in other words, least amount of copper/fiber) is a straight line.

-dave

Excellent input here, Dave. I'm filing this away in my memory banks for reference.

I'd wonder if they're old lines placed decades ago that moving them and having them updated might be something the power company might do on request?

I know that when my pool builder accidentally cut our lines the power company fixed it free of charge to us (and PB) because we as homeowners requested it. Had the PB requested it they would have charged him (so sayeth the PB).

I'd ask, and remind them how old they are ..... (if in fact you can use that excuse?)

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.