Cannot get chlorine levels to come down

CFE4130

Jun 14, 2022
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I was getting my water tested at the pool store, but from reading on here I decided to get one of the Taylor kits which was about 3 weeks ago. At the pool store my chlorine levels were always in range but at home they are 10+. I tried adding a chlorine neutralizer which didn't make a difference. I've had my SWG off for two days now and no difference in the chlorine level that way. I do have a mesh tarp covering the pool right now but it doesn't usually get a lot of sunlight because of the trees in my backyard. We have not had any rain in about a month. I'm not sure what I should do next.

Pool store tests are usually wrong more often than right. Trust your FAS-DPD powder test.
You're using 10cc of pool water and one heaping scoop of powder, right?
So that each drop of 0871 reagent equals 0.5ppm. (easier to say count those drops and divide by 2)

Is this how you test your FC?

Are you using the FAS-DPD test? The 10ml sample test will tell you exactly (up to .5 increments) how much over 10 you are. Depending how how high your FC is and the lack of sun, could take a bit to come down. Use the FC/CYA chart to figure out what your range is. Also know that as long as you are below SLAM level for your CYA, it is safe to swim in your pool & no need to stress while it goes down to normal range.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I wouldn’t worry about high FC levels. As you’ve indicated you’ve done, shut off your SWCG your FC most assuredly will come down. But as others note, get a reliable test kit so you can be sure of the accuracy. Depending on your CYA level, you are safe with FC well above 10. I keep mine at a minimum of 7 and prefer to keep it closer to 10.

What is your cya level?
What is your fc result?
Covering the pool will significantly reduce the rate at which fc lowers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC itself is not irritating but CC will cause irritation, sting eyes etc. The FAS-DPD test will also let you know how much your CC is. And if it is higher than .5 ppm that is a sign that something like algae is eating your FC up & turning into CC.

Speaking of irritating cc’s - they can build up under a cover. Opening the cover occasionally allows the sun to burn them off & also allows them to escape.

With your cya of 60 your fc is fine & safe to swim in anywhere between 3ppm & 24ppm.
Your swg will produce approximately 10ppm fc in a 24hr period in your pool volume. How long & what % were you running your swg?
ECAE246E-07D2-40B8-8170-961045339ABA.png
Also what was the ingredient in the chlorine neutralizer you used? Some can be irritating.

Reactions: PoolStored
With your cya of 60 your fc is fine & safe to swim in anywhere between 3ppm & 24ppm.
Your swg will produce approximately 10ppm fc in a 24hr period in your pool volume. How long & what % were you running your swg?
View attachment 456405
Also what was the ingredient in the chlorine neutralizer you used? Some can be irritating.
The SWG was running from 7am to 11pm. It was set up at 80%, and I only realized a few weeks ago that I could change it. Then it ran at 60% for two weeks, 50% for about a week, 10% for a few days and now it has been off for a few days.
The neutralizer was granular sodium thiosulfate

Hey CFE !!!

Of all the screwups we see, making more FC than you need, but still entirely in the OK range............ now THATS how you want to screw up !!!!

Regardless of how you chlorinate, the daily demand changes throughout the season. Think of a bell curve where it's not so much on either end but spikes in the middle (peak season). We are at the backside of the season and we all have to turn our units down (or add less bleach) as the UV gets lower and the days get shorter. Because you missed an adjustment time, you made 'too much' FC. (But still safe/harmless).

Let it drift down as long as it takes and try to match the daily loss once it's in target range again.

In the spring, you'll be doing the exact opposite. You'll be turning the unit up every other week / few weeks as the sun angle gets higher and the days get longer. If you miss an adjustment time then, you'll underproduce and likely be gifted a swamp. It's always beneficial for folks to learn their systems now.

You can use PoolMath effects of adding - select swg, & your unit (or type in 1.47) & play with run times / percentages to see what will suit your needs. Most residential uncovered pools use 2-4ppm fc/day so your needs may be less with the cover in play along with falling temps.
Also note that as the water temperature gets below 50 degrees the swg will no longer produce fc so you will need to manually dose with liquid chlorine if you are planning on keeping the pool open.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.