Can you leave the chlorine levels a bit high?

Is there any problem leaving the chlorine levels a bit high - say around 8 or 9 - all the time. I just feel better knowing that there is lots of chlorine in the water so nothing else takes hold. We have a brand new pool and an aquarite swg. Keeping the chlorine high doesn't cost us any more money so I have been keeping it a little high. The water is so beautiful I don't want to take any chances. It is really sparkling.

The CYA is around 40 and everything else is just where the charts say it should be. Would it damage the equipment (pump, filter, heat pump, etc) to have it stay high?

I have been doing the good chlorine test every other day since I got the recommended testing kit. I have no cc. I am testing more than the kit recommends but I like knowing that all is well then I go enjoy the pool.

We have two year old twins and four year old twins in most days with adults the rest of the time.

I would say that what you are doing is fine but perhaps just a bit of overkill. I would rather see you keep your FC aorund 5-7ppm (which is a little higher than normal). It really is costing you money in the extra work the SWG has to do to generate the additional chlorine.

I like your plan of testing and the more you test, you are better able to manage your pool. We always suggest testing at a level that most people don't find too much trouble but testing more than that is absolutely fine and even, I think, is advantageous.

So...

1. Run your FC up there @ 9ppm if you like but 5-7 might be just as comforting and save a few bucks.

2. Test as often as you are comfortable with. That's always a good thing. :lol:

I used to keep mine on the high side because I didn't have a newfangled test kit. The only downside was that the chlorine eats your swimsuits and your solar blanket more quickly the higher you keep the chlorine. Now that I keep the chlorine lower I buy nicer suits....for me, not the kids :wave:

I had a guest one time have an asthmatic (breathing) reaction to the pool---he said chlorine always bothers him, so if your little gaffers have asthma then you would consider that too.

JasonLion said:
The recommended range for CYA with a SWG is 70 to 80.

I do know that my CYA should be higher and I am working on that. I have been adding it gradually because I didn't want it to get too high. I thought it would be higher today when I checked it because I added more a few days ago. Doesn't it take some time for it to show up.

I will have to get another container of stabilizer and put more in.

And maybe I will let the chlorine go down just a little. Does the SWG use much electricity in the conversion?

Nancy

applgrl said:
I used to keep mine on the high side because I didn't have a newfangled test kit. The only downside was that the chlorine eats your swimsuits and your solar blanket more quickly the higher you keep the chlorine. Now that I keep the chlorine lower I buy nicer suits....for me, not the kids :wave:

I had a guest one time have an asthmatic (breathing) reaction to the pool---he said chlorine always bothers him, so if your little gaffers have asthma then you would consider that too.

You would have to go WAY high on the FC to be damaging suits and equipment. The recommended levels here are much less than those used in public pools.

Also an asthmatic reaction would be more likely due to chloramines (cc) meaning the pool must not have been properly sanitized and balanced.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.