Can you have Ammonia if FC is 5.5 and CYA is Zero after winter?

Wolfepack88

Gold Supporter
Jun 21, 2020
NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Just tested my water for FC, CC and CYA as the pool be opened in a few weeks and wanted to get an early read. My FC was 5.5, my CC was 0 but it looks like my CYA is zero as I could easily see the dot and the I was to the 20 marker in the tube. I've read many of the ammonia threads but it seems you can't have ammonia if you have FC at the level I have as ammonia eats up chlorine. I will go test again to see if it dropped from the FC of 5.5 of yesterday. Do I have this right? I did pump out water twice about 6 inches or so but no huge pump out of water and no overflow of water.

If you haven't mixed it yet, none of it matters. Besides that, CYA degrades over time and the rain water added has 0. It's hardly noticeable month over month, but you walked away for 5-6 months.

It's not ammonia as it eats FC in no time The cure for ammonia is to add tons of FC until it holds. Add, wait 20 mins, gone. Add. Wait 20 mins, gone. Basically a psycho SLAM. You got FC. Woo-hoo.

Your CYA may come up a bit after mixing but remember that 20 and under is questionable at best to 'see' it. if so, add 10 and look for 30. If not, add 10 more.

Also also, the sample has to be room temp for CYA or the turbidity cloud takes longer to swirl and will read low.

If you haven't mixed it yet, none of it matters. Besides that, CYA degrades over time and the rain water added has 0. It's hardly noticeable month over month, but you walked away for 5-6 months.

It's not ammonia as it eats FC in no time The cure for ammonia is to add tons of FC until it holds. Add, wait 20 mins, gone. Add. Wait 20 mins, gone. Basically a psycho SLAM. You got FC. Woo-hoo.

Your CYA may come up a bit after mixing but remember that 20 and under is questionable at best to 'see' it. if so, add 10 and look for 30. If not, add 10 more.

Also also, the sample has to be room temp for CYA or the turbidity cloud takes longer to swirl and will read low.
That last part I had no idea. This site is like the national archives with endless knowledge. Thank you very much!!

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.