Can we bust up concrete ourselves and fix a broken pressure side leak?

Jul 1, 2015
Memphis, TN
We have a broken pipe where the black outline is in the picture. (Verified w/leak detection service) - I've gotten a quote for $2200 from the pool company but can't get them to say "when" they will come. They just say, "We will get to you." I'm not that handy but I have adult sons that are. Is this a project we could do ourselves or is it just too big? It's not a big area of concrete as you can see - the pool guy said they would bust it up by hand, cart away the concrete, dig and fix the pipes, pour new concrete. Doable or just too hard/dangerous?

Attachments

• RenderedImage.jpeg
    RenderedImage.jpeg
    809 KB · Views: 25
Is this a project we could do ourselves or is it just too big?
With a couple sons who have strong backs, a concrete saw, and some basic PVC skills, I'd say go for it. I'll post an example below of one such leak repair. The only part that may be a little tricky is applying the cosmetic top coating so that it matches fairly close - if you're even worried about that. There should be no other lines in that area, but if you have any doubts, call before you dig.

Be careful where the concrete is (likely) permanently attached to the coping - don't break it (chances are you won't be able to find replacement panels). Also, be careful under the steps. If you remove the fill soil behind it, the water pressure may blow out the pool wall there!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.