Can somone recommend a good ABG cover that lasts.

phonedave

May 30, 2012
Montville NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Once again I bought the expensive, "super tough" cover for my pool (27' ABG)

Once again, 2 season later it turns to swiss cheese. (and let a load of debris into my pool at opening)

So, I will have to buy a new cover once again, for this years closing. Does anybody have any luck with a solid cover that lasts more that 2 seasons. These things get expensive.By the end of this winter, I could not even pump off the cover, Water from the pool was soak through just as fast as I pumped off the water on top of the cover.

-dave

That is why I don't buy the "super tough" covers anymore. Been through 4 sets of covers (5mil to 12mil) over about 8 years and found none really lasted more than about 2 years +-. So my philosophy now is to find the cheapest cover out there and just plan on replacing it after a couple of seasons. My last cover is two AG 5 mil covers and those too are nearing the end after two years. But the best thing about this cover is it is half the weight of the 12 mil cover which was a beast to remove and half the price. The 5mil cover is so easy to remove that I use it a lot more.

Dave,

My first winter cover made it through 3 winters, 2 of them pretty brutal. It was a cheap one, maybe $100-120 for my 30 foot, IIRC. I probably stretched it that 3rd winter, it was junk when I opened, but did protect my pool. Whether solar covers or winter covers, it seems that 2-3 seasons is about the expected experience, regardless of price, so go cheap and plan on it being an every 2 year expense or so.

Mice chewed through mine this year. Will never store it outside again. That goes for those paper DE bags.

I have never had a problem with mice when storing my winter cover in the pool shed. My solar cover is a different story. Two winters ago they got into it and made a nest. Chewed the heck out of it and crapped everywhere. When I put it in for storage this year I put loads of bait traps around it. This spring it was in great shape.

-dave

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I'll try th el-cheapo covers this year. Maybe a tarp from Harbour Freight would be the answer. Over the winter it can cover my pool, and then in the summer I can use it to line my trailer when I get mulch / topsoil / etc (otherwise it gets all over the place by falling between the removable sides) - then throw it away and get a new one for winter and start all over again.

-dave

I haven't managed to keep the pool properly covered since we have had it. It catches the wind and I have tried everything: expensive covers, cables, clips, jugs, woodworking clamps, a combo of all of the above. This year I am going elcheapo cover and then two huge tarps over top of them and staking those into the ground. I don't have a problem with the mice chewing them (3 cats: 1 an expert hunter / 1 an expert huntress) ~ but the wind turns any mil into swiss cheese.

We just had a Harbor Freight move into town along with a Rural King which is rare for us we get nothing here don't even have a coffee shop yet, but they both have some large tarps that I am pricing there and at Tractor Supply. It's my last ditch effort. I also check craigslist for them occasionally. I know the tarp has to be large enough to stake into the ground a decent distance from the pool. Hoping that will solve Jiffy Pop Pool ~ but not real hopeful. As clear as I am able to keep the water, I have no doubt if I kept the cover on through the winter I could uncover and be ready to roll. Just haven't caught lucky yet to be able to test my theory on that.

Good Luck with your quest!

I went the easy route and just did not cover it :) this is what it looked like when I opened after 3 months of slumber..

GJ250Crh.jpg

I wasn't covered last winter either. Well I take that back I covered twice actually but both Jiffy Popped off, even with a tremendous amount of water on the top for weight. third time I knew was no charm so I didn't bother. The solar blanket has no problem flying the friendly skies if I use one of those.
Mine cleaned up easily enough, but if I could keep the cover on I wouldn't have to SLAM it preseason and that's what my goal is. I just want to know that feeling.

Mine is in the middle of a forest with an open huge, farmed field behind, two of them because there is a tree line and another huge field to the left. If mine opened to what yours did, covering would be a nonissue, but these old trees of mine shed like crazy, we also lose whole trees or large branches off of them during winter and spring. Trampolines, Pool Cover, Umbrellas, gutters don't survive long in these parts. Heaven forbid a person leave a raft or floatie on the water because it's gonzo. If they blow away I don't replace them, we have no had to adopt that policy :)

Wish I could have opened to what you did, but that's not a reality here me in this location. Up North in much deeper woodland we never had that problem.
Last year the neighbors super pricey split right down the center of their pool. The manufacturer did replace it, and the replacement help this year, as far as I know. They just uncovered and had the water truck last night so I haven't actually asked them how they fared yet, but it did look like theirs held.

I agree completely, I closed in december and opened march 1st, water was well below 50 degrees closing and opening... the nice thing that I found out is, I was able to add chlorine, use the leaf rake, and brush the pool even though it was closed, I just did it about 1 day a month on a nice day (above 40 degrees :))

If you get a lot of stuff though I can see how that would be a pain...

I have to close mine. First off, my pool is closed about 9 months out of the year. and during those 9 months, a LOT of stuff would fall in the pool if there was no cover.

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I spent the last 2 winters with just my leaf net on. No issues - some small debris fell through but the robot picked that up in the spring at opening. We usually have brutal winters, 30 mins from Canadian border on MN/ND border up here. We have maple trees, oaks and pine trees all surrounding the pool area. If mine can do it, pretty much any can.

I looked into going with just a leaf net for this year and am contemplating that as Viable Plan B.
Considering there was no cover, with all the trees and the like the debris was bad ~ but I do think a leaf net could have kept 90% of it out and would have stayed on ~ it can't Jiffy Pop.

You may have just moved Viable Plan B into the A Slot ~ thank you!

Once again I bought the expensive, "super tough" cover for my pool (27' ABG)

Once again, 2 season later it turns to swiss cheese. (and let a load of debris into my pool at opening)

So, I will have to buy a new cover once again, for this years closing. Does anybody have any luck with a solid cover that lasts more that 2 seasons. These things get expensive.By the end of this winter, I could not even pump off the cover, Water from the pool was soak through just as fast as I pumped off the water on top of the cover.

-dave

By the el cheap cover each fall. Especially,if you have harsh winter winds. Never bought the expensive one...always was afraid it would get ruined ...so each fall i spend about 45 bucks...on the cheap one.

I live in North dakota and i got a cover that designed I believe to sit on the water and let it pass through. This held up reasonably weel considering I had the cover too small in size. However, I can see the benefit of something cheap.

When people mention a simple leaf cover (I don't have really any leaves here), what would you recommend exactly?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.