Can someone tell me what this is?

TwoBananas

Jun 1, 2022
South Carolina, USA
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello!

Due to his forum, my pool is clear for the first time. I can see the bottom. However, after turning the pump off for 24 hours (I set the timer wrong and it didn’t kick back on), I came out this morning to find this powder all around the edges. The pool was hazy before the filter was off for this long.

Is this white powder calcium build up? I did add a bunch of cal hypo about two weeks ago.A8456139-9642-4140-B1AD-74FA5C92DC89.jpegD3441BB6-4A3B-478C-B531-1FBC33598A4D.jpegEE6AF511-29A6-405D-8286-79D0B240D9DF.jpegC6BD5735-43AF-4216-BC3E-E095DF2A86B2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it *looks* like calcium to me..... try to pick some up and put it in the grass. Drop a drop of muriatic acid on it and if it bubbles, its calcium!
Can you share you test results?
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt if applicable?

Maddie :flower:
FC 7
CC 0.5
pH 7.7
TA 130
CH 250
CYA 40

Unfortunately, I did not get to scoop any out as I didn’t see this until after I turned the filter on and it all kicked back into the water.

Didn’t expect such a fast reply!

If it is Calcium, how the heck do I get it out without spreading it around the pool? My Dolphin just seems to stir things up.

Hmm... I would say dead algae, especially since you mentioned a cloudy pool and have CC of 0.5. Did you do a SLAM to get rid of your cloudiness?

You can do an OCLT to see if there is algae somewhere.

My chlorine loss is zero. I’ve had this blue cloud that I was convinced was algae for over a month (hence the desperation use of cal hypo twice), but I’m not losing any chlorine. Like a point every few days. CYA and pH stable. Can’t tell what’s going on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.