Can I use this skimmer port as an overflow drain?

riny

Gold Supporter
Aug 20, 2020
NY, USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
My pool doesn't have an overflow, and twice this summer we've had heavy enough storms to cause a spillover. I noticed that my skimmer has this unused port (looks like inch and a quarter). I'm not sure what it's supposed to be for but it seems to be just above the normal water level. Could I drill this out and use it to plumb in an overflow which drains down into the woods? Any downside to doing this?

20210725_120539.jpg

So, I screwed up... I didn't realize there was an outer layer and an inner layer. I think you're only supposed to remove the outer layer, so water enters the overflow by coming up underneath (which can only happen with a high water level) and not from normal splashing.

Well when I drilled it out, I punched through both layers. Now whenever the kids are splashing around in the pool, lots of water goes up into the drain.

Is there an easy way to patch the inner layer? I'm thinking maybe a thin piece of acrylic that will bend to the curve, and some aquarium adhesive, unless anyone has a better idea?

20210815_161207.jpg

Well it's interesting... but what a goopy, gloppy mess! The biggest challenges here would be to (a) cover the inner hole but not fill the very small gap between the layers, and (b) have the patch sit flush so it doesn't interfere with the basket. This stuff looks pretty bulky and imprecise.

I wonder if some waterproof tape would work? Gorilla makes a white one which they claim works underwater. It wouldn't need to be 100% watertight, just enough to prevent splash-out. It's cheap enough that it's probably worth trying at least.

That would probably work also :)

But that stuff is fun and amazing, it fixed a pressure side leak 9 years ago and has not leaked since ...

Ha, that's awesome. I have an annoying pair of 3/8" holes where my PB put in this puck feeder that I don't want or need. It connects using plastic tubing and saddle fittings. I keep the thing hooked up now, just because I don't have plugs for these holes and they're both in really inconvenient locations to re-plumb. Maybe some of this goop is just what I need!

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.