Can I run (temporarily) pump with bad capacitor?

PSJ

Apr 8, 2020
Dallas, TX
I have a Century 1.5 HP Square Flange 56Y Up Rate Motor - B2854 pump. The capacitor has gone bad, but I can get the pump started by giving the shaft a quick spin after turning the power on (which is how I diagnosed the bad cap in the first place)

I've ordered a new capacitor, but it won't be here for 3 days. Can I bump start my pump every day so it continues to circulate and I can use it this weekend and don't have to SLAM next week?

The other thing I've noticed is that the pump is extremely hot to the touch when running. It's not in the sun, but ambient temp is still 85-100 F this time of year. Is this normal? I haven't ever really messed with the pump when running

Thanks

I believe that is a PSC motor which means the capacitor is used for running the motor as well as starting the motor. However, if it is shorted, it will run at higher current than normal in the starter winding. So if you haven't removed the capacitor leads, then I would do so. Make sure you tape them so they do not short to the housing.

Reactions: Bama Rambler
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.