Can I replace an Aqua Logic board with a Pro Logic board? Please help!

Westovers

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2009
Austin, Texas
Please bear with this explanation...

My pool builder installed a Goldline Pro Logic (model PL-PS-8) when my pool was originally built over 7 years ago. According to Hayward Customer support, the computer board has gone bad. They gave me the replacement number (GLX-PCB-PRO), which I ordered on Amazon. However, after taking off the front panel and accessing the board, I realized the actual board was slightly different. Instead of a GLX-PCB-PRO (G1-011049F-1), it is a GLX-PCB-MAIN (G1-066008J-1).

1. Can I use the GLX-PCB-PRO to replace it? (I assume yes, because everything else is Pro Logic, including my manual, and the board has the same connections except... see next question.)

2. If so, how do I connect the orange wires correctly (these are the only ones that are labeled slightly different on the new board--EP9 & EP14 instead of E8 & E12 on old board)?

THANK YOU for any help you can give me!!

There are common parts between the two (e.g. rectifiers, transformer, flow switch, cell) but if you swap the boards, I believe you would need to swap out all the display/remote units as well (confirmed by a Goldline tech). The part lists tells you want is common and what is not:

Hayward Pro Logic, Aqua Logic, Aqua Rite Pro, Aqua Rite Aqua Trol Controls Replacement Part Schematic​

Mark,

Following your link, it seems that I have the display (GLX-PL-LOC-PS-8) that is supposed to be used with the Pro-Logic Board, but has been working with the "Aqua-Logic Board" that was originally installed (GLX-PCB-MAIN: G1-066008J-1). So apparently they are compatible, despite what you confirmed with the Goldline Tech?

Besides the display, I'm not sure what you mean by "all the display/remote units". Could you please elaborate? Thank you,

Last edited:
Something doesn't make sense. If you have a glxpcbmain board, then you probably have an aqualogic box and not prologic unless the board has been replaced.​

JamesW,

No, it doesn't make sense... But it seems that a ProLogic box was installed with a GLXPCBMAIN board. I have no knowledge of it ever being replaced. The name and the model number written inside the box matches everything I gave you (Pro Logic: PL-PS-8). Do you still need photos?

I believe the that large PCB in these units is very similar. I remember looking into one time long ago about upgrading my Aqua Plus unit to a ProLogic.The only real difference was the local display as this has all of the control functions within. The large PCB is just a slave to the local display unit.

Besides the display, I'm not sure what you mean by "all the display/remote units". Could you please elaborate? Thank you,
There is a display unit in the same cabinet as the main board for programming the board and there can also be remote units wired or wireless so you can program the unit in a different location. I have two wireless units, one is the same as the one in the main cabinet, the other is a wireless remote for the spa.

Also, at one point in time I was thinking of up grading to the pro but according to Goldline, I would have needed to change out the displays and remotes. However, if you have pro-displays already, then you should be able to use the pro board. How you got the logic board, I do not know. The display and remotes may be backwards compatible just not the other way around.

Do you have any remote units?

Hi The GLX-PCB-PRO is the board you want. It is backwards compatible with the MAIN board. It is the board you should use. Please call tech service and they will walk you through the wires. 908-355-7995. Or you can private message your phone number and I will have someone contact you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi The GLX-PCB-PRO is the board you want. It is backwards compatible with the MAIN board.
So just to be clear, does that mean the GLX-PCB-PRO board also works with the Aqualogic display units (e.g. GLX-LOCAL-PS-8) contrary to what your help line says?

There is a display unit in the same cabinet as the main board for programming the board and there can also be remote units wired or wireless so you can program the unit in a different location. I have two wireless units, one is the same as the one in the main cabinet, the other is a wireless remote for the spa.

Also, at one point in time I was thinking of up grading to the pro but according to Goldline, I would have needed to change out the displays and remotes. However, if you have pro-displays already, then you should be able to use the pro board. How you got the logic board, I do not know. The display and remotes may be backwards compatible just not the other way around.

Do you have any remote units?

Yes--now I understand. I have the newer display (for the ProLogic), and one wireless remote--the AquaPod--which resembles the display in functions.

Hi The GLX-PCB-PRO is the board you want. It is backwards compatible with the MAIN board. It is the board you should use. Please call tech service and they will walk you through the wires. 908-355-7995. Or you can private message your phone number and I will have someone contact you.

Could you please elaborate on "the board you want" and "the board you should use?" The board I've been using doesn't seem to be missing any of the functionality of the ProLogic Board--everything in my ProLogic manual matches/works, the ProLogic display works, my AquaPod wireless remote works. What would I be missing if I simply replaced it with the same board instead of the ProLogic board, especially if the AquaLogic board is less expensive? Thank you,

The version (upper left) on that is 3.00 which is a pro logic. The boards are nearly identical but you can tell by the version number. The aqua stopped at 2.87.

That's glx-pcb-main. It has the bigger transformer with the yellow wrapping. The glx-pcb-pro has the smaller transformer with the white wrapping.

Also, I think that aqualogic does go to at least revision 3.0.

Based on the serial number of the box and the circuit board, Hayward should be able to tell you if the board is original to the box or if it has been replaced.

If you have a prologic box and an aqualogic board, either the board has been replaced or maybe Hayward mislabeled the box.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.