Can I pressure wash my empty pool with a house and siding cleaner?

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hi all.

Inherited a pool that I'm emptying and refilling due to high CYA and calcium levels. The pool overall is in good condition and doesn't need any sort of acid etching that will reduce the life of the plaster.

I plan on jumping in there with my pressure washer to remove dirt etc. and a pretty small amount of calcium buildup (also with a pumice stone), once it is drained.

Do you think I could use this product from home depot that I normally clean the outside of my home with in the pressure washer for the pool?

ZEP 128 oz. House and Siding Pressure Wash Concentrate-ZUVWS128 - The Home Depot

Thanks!

SDS says it’s a solution if sodium carbonate (washing soda) and EDTA. As long as you can easily pump the residual out of the pool, it should be fine.

BE CAREFUL with the power washer. Too high a pressure and you could easily blast off the plaster if you hit a delaminated spot. Don’t leave the pool drained for too long as the weight of tens of thousands of pounds of water against the plaster acts as a mechanical force to keep the plaster in place. Dehydration of the plaster surface can lead to surface cracks.

SDS says it’s a solution if sodium carbonate (washing soda) and EDTA. As long as you can easily pump the residual out of the pool, it should be fine.

BE CAREFUL with the power washer. Too high a pressure and you could easily blast off the plaster if you hit a delaminated spot. Don’t leave the pool drained for too long as the weight of tens of thousands of pounds of water against the plaster acts as a mechanical force to keep the plaster in place. Dehydration of the plaster surface can lead to surface cracks.

This is good to know JoyfulNoise! Thanks!

Thank you

You can easily carve your initials in concrete with a pressure washer, so the plaster on a pool won't hold up to it well at all if you get very aggressive. I'd only use it as a last resort.

You can easily carve your initials in concrete with a pressure washer, so the plaster on a pool won't hold up to it well at all if you get very aggressive. I'd only use it as a last resort.

Thank for the tip. My pressure washer has a pretty low pressure nozzle attachment. So I'll try that. Mainly just wanting to use it on the tile as the plaster looks fine.

I would try an area first without any detergent/solution mix. I think you may find that most if not all of what you are trying to remove may just come off with pressure washers water alone.

+1 on the being careful of the units pressure on the plaster...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.