Can I check ozone level?

Sjde

Apr 29, 2016
Denver CO
Pool Size
I see there are test strips you can buy for ozone. Can this be used to see if my ozonator is still working after 3 years? It apparently only comes on when the jets are on , so there's no way to tell. And apparently the bromine reading can be lower if you have a working ozonator, though I don't know how critical this is. TIA!

Nope, that is the marketing genius of Ozone. They sell you something you can't prove is working....

We recommend that yo never reduce recomended sanitizer levels based on gimicks.

Reactions: Sjde
I know it may be genius marketing, but I am 100% positive that my Prozone unit works to eliminate CC. How do I know? for the first 3 months of owning my tub I had my pump 1 aeration off (during my tub time I would turn it off at the end, to relax without bubbles). That then meant my 8 hours of pump run time to get the SWG going (along with prozone) was not using aeration.
My CC was stuck at 2 for a couple months, and I couldnt fix it (its under a deck so no access to sunlight).
One day I decided to turn the aeration on after I left the tub and within a couple weeks all my CC had been cleared up. It had not budged for 3 months. Now 1 month after a refill, with my aeration left on, my CC is still zero and holding there.
It may not be useful for some folks, but It certainly has use for me.

I would guess the ozone is doing as much now as the day it was installed and almost as much as it was doing sitting on the shelf at the store.

Reactions: Sjde
One day I decided to turn the aeration on after I left the tub and within a couple weeks all my CC had been cleared up. It had not budged for 3 months. Now 1 month after a refill, with my aeration left on, my CC is still zero and holding there.
And how do you know that this is because of ozone and not just normal aeration assisting with the dissipation of CC?

Reactions: tim5055
And how do you know that this is because of ozone and not just normal aeration assisting with the dissipation of CC?
I am new to hot tub ownership, so I wasnt aware that simply aerating had a beneficial effect on CC... However I did aerate quite a bit during soaks etc even before I shifted to it on all the time during the pump cycles. You are right tho, IF normal aeration helps eliminate CC than it certainly could be that... My prozone came with hot tub, so it wasnt something I purposefully paid for, so No idea if its placebo or not haha

just to agree with the suggestion of ozone is glorified aeration, removing your cover should work even better. my little tub sits at 104 and gets pretty heavy usage. i use it at least 3 times a day. have used it up to 7 times one day. my little kids go in it twice a week. the wife twice a week at least. it's also indoor so it gets no sun and covered when we aren't in and ive never seen any cc's. my water is a week away from 3 months old. i accredit it to only two things. one, tfp method and slamming it every couple days. the only thing ive considered changing is to bromine but ive never had an issue with bleach and everyone has loved the water and nobody notices it in the house so really no reason to change. bleach and tfp is the two main ingredients you need. lots of gimmicks out there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.