Can I add chlorine to salt water as a temp fix?

airbur

Gold Supporter
Jul 4, 2017
Colorado
So I bought the wrong pump.....my pool is below the level of the pump so need self-priming unit. The new pump will be here in 2 days.

I just filled the pool with fresh water and added 100lbs of salt. Since I can't run the pump and get the SWG system working, is it ok to add Chlorine for the next 2 days to keep algae etc at bay?

Thanks!

Yes you can use pool math to calculate how much, add then mix in with a brush. If it is warm enough follow the brushing with swimming.
The first and last thing I add to my salt pool is chlorine. My SWG doesn't start working until my water temp hits 65

Yes, in fact we recommend adding plain unscented bleach to bring the pool to recommended FC levels when you start up the SWG. It is much easier for an SWG to maintain chlorine levels than to raise them up from 0. It will also be easier for you to determine the right combination of run time and output % with a baseline FC level in place.

You can add bleach daily as needed according to your test results and brush the pool after as LFrankow has said.

A pool brush to brush the inside of the pool. You would want a nylon brush for vinyl liner pools. Until you get a brush you can also get in the pool and walk in a brisk circle a few times to get the water stirred up.

I've seen people use a canoe paddle to circulate and mix in chemicals while waiting to get a pump back online. You get the idea, pool brush or whatever it takes to get and keep the chlorine mixed in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.