Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I'm a new pool owner grappling with the car payment sized power bill I got after running my single speed pump excessively last month. I've been doing some research into variable speed pumps, and like what I'm reading about the new Black & Decker pumps. As I understand, the Calimar pump should be the same, with the exception of the housing and included unions.

It looks like my pump has a 2" intake, but the return is only 1.5", so I assume that I'm going to be limited to a max flow of around 44 gpm. I think that running a 1.5 hp Calimar pump at around 1200 rpm will max out my flow. It looks like there may have been a split return at one point, two 1.5" pipes, but one is capped. Also, 2 of 5 jets don't have any flow, so I am assuming this is related. I believe at one point there was a Polaris vacuum that is not longer active, so possible that capped pipe is from that?

So does that make sense? Just get a 1.5 hp instead of the 3 hp and save an extra hundred bucks or so there, since my flow rate will be the main limiter and is well within the lower rpm range of the Calimar?

This is the operating cost breakdown for a 24 hr run time on the Swimming Pool Steve blog using the 1.5 hp pump.
1.5 HP Variable Speed Pump
3 Hours @ 3000 RPM / 86 GPM
6 Hours @ 2000 RPM / 55 GPM
15 Hours @ 1000 RPM / 29 GPM

1040 W/h @ 3000 x 3 = 3.12 kW
348 W/h @ 2000 x 6 = 2.1 kW Watts
68 W/h @ 1000 x 15 = 1.02 kW Watts

6.24 kW per day x $0.13 / kWh

Attachments

• pump.PNG
    pump.PNG
    522.3 KB · Views: 13
  • pump2.PNG
    pump2.PNG
    374.1 KB · Views: 13
The higher horsepower Calimar pump will push more water at lower RPMs and consume less energy overall. I would also purchase the automation interface for $36 and plan on future automation. It may not be the best pump around, but it does represent a strong value. Just my two cents.

Reactions: jweeks3 and Newdude
The B&D's have a better warranty but cost a hair over double, so they're not worth it IMO. You'd have to have 2 Calimars fail in the timeframe of that extra warranty that the Calimar isn't covered.

One dud is always possible but statistically speaking, 2 duds back to back is nearly impossible.

Time will tell of course because these pumps are relatively new, but so far they have been holding their own for a couple of years.

Reactions: jweeks3
I would get the larger pump. You'll be able to run it at lower RPM to the point you can't even hear that it's on and the power consumption will be trivial. I'd also eliminate that restriction on the suction side leading into the pump.

Larger pumps are more efficient at lower rpm. Lower rpm = less energy and less noise and less strain.

If you have a SWG run the larger pump low speed 24/7 and you are golden. I run my 3hp at 1000 rpm 24/7 for about 14$ a month, for example. At 2400 rpm it would be 250$ a month. Power consumption is not linear, it’s a curve, so if you can run lower speed with the larger pump it will likely pay for itself

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.