Calcium Indicator clogged

blazin

Bronze Supporter
Jul 29, 2017
Franklin, MA
Over this winter both my R-0011 nozzles clogged on my 2 bottles. The kit was kept indoors in my garage. I'm sure they saw some cooler temps.

Question is, if I used a needle to clear the clog, is the underlying solution ok?

What about other items in the test kit? I wasn't thinking I'd need to keep the test kit in say 50+ area.

Don't want to be scratching my head all season if they have been negatively impacted.

I guess I'd do the needle or toothpick thing....then run a CH test. Is it still in the same ball park as your last CH test last fall?
If not you can easily obtain a replacement at www.tftestkits.net

Maddie :flower:

Addendum: further posts say no to sticking anything down hole.. ooops, I hadn't thought about it enlarging hole. Don't do it. Wash it out instead. maddie.

Last edited:
The best thing to do is pop off the tip, run water through it to see if that releases the clog. The tips of the R-0010 and R-0011l can pop off-they are a little tricky to put back on. Place the tip inside the white top and screw them on together as one unit. Don't put a toothpick in the opening as that may cause the hole to widen. Call me for any questions at 919-528-1454

The nozzles come off of the bottles pretty easily. I would take the nozzles off to try to clean them with water, rather than potentially pushing the clog or gunk back into the reagent.

The other thing to consider is that the size of the hole in the nozzle affects the size of the drops. So if you shove something into the hole and accidentally enlarge it then it could affect the drop size which would affect your test results. If you can’t clean them with warm water, then be very careful what you poke in there.

Thanks for all the tips, yea I figured out how to get it off and was trying to hand rinse the clog out in the pool but didn't work. It's odd to me that both bottles clogged. I'll see if I can clear the clog with a jet from my faucet, otherwise I'll see what I have for small needles. The wife's sewing items should have something smaller than a toothpick, T-pin, or other needle as to not enlarge the hole unintentionally.

sounds like the Reagent itself should be ok.

Don't want to be scratching my head all season if they have been negatively impacted
How old are they? Like you say, you may never be able to trust them completely.

I will say the R-0011L is perhaps one of the most volatile (subject to degradation) reagents in the kit. It might be just fine but I think I would get a nice fresh bottle just for the peace of mind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.