Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Finally recovering after my SLAM. I’m bringing CYA up. Alkalinity was very high, I or previously lowered with muriatic acid because I wanted to get rid of a contained I’d been storing. Now I’m aerating to bring PH back up. I’ve read several threads that said not to worry too much about alkalinity and it will drift down over time with acid applications. So, should I not worry about that and move on to the next issue which I think is calcium hardness? I read to SWG this should be near 350. I have a Balance Pak 300. So should that be my next target?

I’m bringing CYA up
(y) 70 should be plenty for up north. We don't have the crazy UV like the hot climates.
I’ve read several threads that said not to worry too much about alkalinity and it will drift down over time with acid applications. So, should I not worry about that and move
(y) it's plenty close enough. It will do its own thing now. Once it settles in, you'd have better luck training a cat. I suggest you let it be.
I think is calcium hardness? I read to SWG this should be near 350.
The SWG shouldn't care. Mine ran for years around 100. It's just the same old industry reccomendations. Modern fiberglass doesn't need to strictly follow plaster protocol for CH like it did back when, but many do anyway, just in case. Let me bring @Texas Splash and @YippeeSkippy in as they both have FG pools and can advise you further.

(y) 70 should be plenty for up north. We don't have the crazy UV like the hot climates.

(y) it's plenty close enough. It will do its own thing now. Once it settles in, you'd have better luck training a cat. I suggest you let it be.

The SWG shouldn't care. Mine ran for years around 100. It's just the same old industry reccomendations. Modern fiberglass doesn't need to strictly follow plaster protocol for CH like it did back when, but many do anyway, just in case. Let me bring @Texas Splash and @YippeeSkippy in as they both have FG pools and can advise you further.
Ok. Ha you’re comments made me laugh. I’ll wait for them to chime in about CH. was just following the recommendation on your poool school.

Reactions: Newdude
I agree. A low CH isn't so much of an issue for an SWG as perhaps a low pH would be. The FG shell shouldn't require much CH. TFP shows a minimum 250 I believe which is mostly just for stain prevention. But you do have a heater so check your owners manuals for CH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.