Jul 22, 2021
Acworth, Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello Everyone,

I’m a new pool owner, just 30 days in and am needing some advice on the CH need.

I had very high CYA (182) and have been draining and refilling the past few days. I am now at 105 CYA and ready to treat to get pool where it needs to be. I took a sample to Leslies and needed a whole lot of product, one being 61 lbs of Hardness Plus. However, one of the threads here said it’s not really needed if you have a vinyl liner. I have an inground vinyl pool. I also added the numbers to the recommended Pool Math Calculator snd they also suggested treating for CH. Is it needed or not? I’m trying to get it to levels where I can then begin to follow the suggestions on this site (BBB method).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Let's address your questions:
- No, vinyl does not require calcium
- Tell us everything else Leslie's opened your checkbook for. Don't open anything yet. You might try to return some stuff.
- #1 priority ... get a proper test kit; either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. Either one will be more accurate and save you money by staying our of the pool store.
- When you get your test kit, post a full set of YOUR numbers so we can help.
- By the way, a CYA over 100 is still unmanageable. No reason for your CYA to any higher than 60-70 if you have a non-salt pool.
- Double check your PoolMath APP pool info. You might have something off which is why it thinks you need CH.
- Update your TFP signature. See mine as an example.

The link below is a great place to go to. But definitely start with the test kit. It's a must,

Welcome from another Acworthian! Texas is "shooting straight" with the advice, TF-100 FROM tfteskits.net or K2006C ("C"is important) from Amazon. You will need one of those test kits to follow the TFP method.

Stay out of Leslie's except to buy chlorine or muriatic acid, and then only if HD/Lowes is out or has old stock.

Your CYA must have been quite high, we've had so much rain this summer mine has dropped from 80 to 40 in the last two months. That never happens here. Sadly you can't trust either of your CYA numbers if they came from Leslies.

Read everything, ask anything you're unsure of. We're glad you're here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.