Calcium hardness test

Jul 27, 2016
Texas
I have a TF test kit and have a question about the Calcium Hardness test. The video instructions post a test with 25ml of water/20 drops r-0010/5 drops r-0011...this is the same instructions as the old Taylor kit I have. The printed instructions says 10ml water/10 drops r-0010/3 drops r-0011. I get somewhat different results when I do it the different ways (320 the first way and 410 the second way). Which is the correct way to do this test?

The 25 ML water sample size is used when someone expects their CH level to be low and needs greater precision. You should be able to use the 10 ML sample size. Are you using a speedstir?

The 25 ML water sample size is used when someone expects their CH level to be low and needs greater precision. You should be able to use the 10 ML sample size. Are you using a speedstir?

Yes I am using a speedstir. Results are slightly different using the 2 methods...I wouldn't really act on either of the results so I guess its not a big deal.

I was not aware of the 25 mL method until reading this post. I purchased a TF 100 kit about 2.5 years ago and the printed card says to use 10 mL.

I also think I got an old bottle of R-0011. It's very gooey and thick and was like this since I purchased the kit. Using the 10 mL method I usually get about 400 to 450 ppm. When the solution turns blue its only a spotty blue with lots of pink still suspended in it. It doesn't look like the pure blue in the TF video. I tried the 25 mL method and was up to close to 30 drops of R-0012 before I quit! But like I said I think my R-0011 is bad.

I was not aware of the 25 mL method until reading this post. I purchased a TF 100 kit about 2.5 years ago and the printed card says to use 10 mL.
The 10 ML sample size is the common standard and used the most. As you imagine, the instruction card has limited space, but the link below (found on the Pool School page) has a complete lists of variations and interesting info about each & every test.

The blue R-0011 is a different consistency than any other reagent (thicker), no doubt about it, so it's not just your batch.

The 10 ML sample size is the common standard and used the most. As you imagine, the instruction card has limited space, but the link below (found on the Pool School page) has a complete lists of variations and interesting info about each & every test.

The blue R-0011 is a different consistency than any other reagent (thicker), no doubt about it, so it's not just your batch.

I think the 25 ml is the standard...that is what the Taylor kits all use. The 10ml is different, and the results are somewhat different as you would expect since the ration of water to reagents isn't exactly the same.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.