Calcium Hardness Low

May 11, 2010
My calcium hardness has been low this year. It was at 180-200 for a few months and it has now dipped down to 140 this week. I was already concerned that it isn't between 250-350 and now it is really low after a rain has almost made the pool overflow. Should I add a calcium product from the pool store or will the 1 1/2 lbs of 73% calcium hypochlorite shock that I add every week eventually take it up? Any recommendations? I don't want plaster damage.

It would take many months to increase your CH by 100 using 1.5 lbs of Cal Hypo weekly. Since you have already been using it, and your CH is still depleting, it seems like you need to add it seperately and get to around 300 or so.

It is curious to me that you use Cal Hypo and have a reduction in CH.....that's a VERY unusual situation.

One reason for low CH may be all the rain we are getting here. It's rained most days, for two weeks now. Some days multiple inches. A couple of weeks ago we were down 6" for the year but a couple of days ago made that up and now have met July average already.

I've been battling low CH since I converted in summer 09. (I didn't pay much attention to numbers other than FC before finding TFP :hammer: hence lots of calcium scaling for 23 years. :roll: ) Fall and winter were one of the cloudiest, rainiest fall/winters on record. Between that and backwashing every 7-10 days before I decided to just open filter and clean AND forgetting hose and overfilling a few times seems like I'm constantly adding calcium. Mines around 300 right now, due to just having added calcium last week. (It's actually less as I let out 3" water Friday.) I usually don't bother letting water out until it gets up over the top of skimmer opening because the sun and wind will evaporate it pretty fast, as much as an inch a day (and multiple big dogs' splash/carry out).

BTW... The calcium increaser at Walmart is only $5-6 for four pounds.

gg=alice

frustratedpoolmom said:
Why are you shocking weekly? Routine shocking is not necessary if you maintain proper FC levels.

My answer to that is "The Leslie's Pool Guy said to shock 1 1/2 lbs Power Powder Pro every week". Been doing it for two years. Seems like common advice for pool owners in there. Is there a thread that would show me a better method?

geekgranny said:
One reason for low CH may be all the rain we are getting here. It's rained most days, for two weeks now. Some days multiple inches. A couple of weeks ago we were down 6" for the year but a couple of days ago made that up and now have met July average already.

I've been battling low CH since I converted in summer 09. (I didn't pay much attention to numbers other than FC before finding TFP :hammer: hence lots of calcium scaling for 23 years. :roll: ) Fall and winter were one of the cloudiest, rainiest fall/winters on record. Between that and backwashing every 7-10 days before I decided to just open filter and clean AND forgetting hose and overfilling a few times seems like I'm constantly adding calcium. Mines around 300 right now, due to just having added calcium last week. (It's actually less as I let out 3" water Friday.) I usually don't bother letting water out until it gets up over the top of skimmer opening because the sun and wind will evaporate it pretty fast, as much as an inch a day (and multiple big dogs' splash/carry out).

BTW... The calcium increaser at Walmart is only $5-6 for four pounds.

gg=alice

No doubt. Rain Rain Go Away. It is not fun swimming under cloud cover and lightening. lol... Thanks for the tip. I have a suspicious feeling that walmart will beat the prices at leslies for the calcium increaser.

samo615 said:
My answer to that is "The Leslie's Pool Guy said to shock 1 1/2 lbs Power Powder Pro every week". Been doing it for two years. Seems like common advice for pool owners in there. Is there a thread that would show me a better method?
This entire forum is devoted to a better way. You should really read Pool School a few times. I, along with many others, have never shocked the pool. If you maintain your levels correctly you won't have to shock.

Also could you post a full set of test results?
pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA

Which Taylor kit do you have?

Having said that, I agree with the rest that you need to add CH. I am also puzzled at why you're losing CH and adding 3+ppm each week.

pH 7.6
FC 4
CC 0
TA 110
CH 180 (I believe that either Leslies (140) is off or the two weeks of hurricane rain has caused it to depleate.. or both)
CYA 40

I have Taylor kit K-2006. I bought 12 lbs of calcium increaser from Wal-Mart. I'm adding 4 lbs tonight to see if it puts me closer to 200.

BTW... I have read several if not all the articles in pool school. Are you referring to adding liquid bleach? I bought the Clorox bleach 3 pack at Sams and tried it a few weeks for chlorine. It does work but it seems like the huge container of Leslies Power Powder Pro (cal-hypo 73%) takes up less room in the shed, it's one trip to the store each year, and no trash. The main thing though.. my calculations came up that it is more expensive to use liquid bleach. Any thoughts?

The main thing though.. my calculations came up that it is more expensive to use liquid bleach. Any thoughts?
It sounds to me as if you have a pool management program that's working well for you. In itself, that describes BBB to a T. If you are happy where you are, we have no agenda for you to be doing anything else.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you need the CH and have the Cal-Hypo, then there's nothing wrong with using it. It raises your CH a little slowly for your immediate needs. You should be testing and adding chlorine to your pool every day or every other day instead of once a week, even if you're using Cal-Hypo to do so.

The cost of bleach is usually the cheapest but that all depends on what you can buy the Cal-Hypo for. If you got a good price on it then it may indeed be cheaper than bleach. Just keep a check on your CH and have an alternate plan if it starts getting too high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.