meestahmarc

Jun 7, 2018
Paramus, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I did search and read some posts, but I guess no DIY pool guy like me wants to mess up their pool! what is current thought about buying a 50lb bag of calcium chloride deicer at home depot. it's $20 and I need about 40lbs. My CH is low and I prefer liquid bleach so not adding much calcium via shock. pool calcium increaser is simply overpriced and I think it's basically the same stuff

Some have other additives that you do not want in your pool... There have been some that have worked fine and others have not... Take the one below, it has Magnesium chloride hexahydrate in it and from that thread you do not want to do that to yourself...

Here is a post about it..

This is the one you want :)

from this thread

thanks. I decided to go with this one from a local Ace Hardware. they typically have good products there, it was a little more expensive than home depot.

You aren't sharing PoolMath results, so we don't know where you are now. What is your fill water CH? It may be that your CSI is just fine and adding CH is not needed. You may pick up what you need from fill water...

thanks. I was just asking about what product to use, not how much to add. my fill water is very hard, but I also don't require much filling, usually draining water from rain.

I finally found on the product sheet of that brand, that this is 100 percent calcium chloride, not a blend. I'll give it a try... just add a little at a time.

btw, my father in law has been maintaining his pool for 40+ years. swears that if he can snap his fingers under water, he is good to go. I don't think he ever tests his water. his pool is always amazing. oh, and same equipment for 40 years. to his credit, he does bring in the pump and filter every winter.

I added the Calcium Chloride, this stuff was great. Dissolved very easily. Small sized particles. Very clean. Happy to have a good local source. One bag will last me a long time!!! Man I hardly spent anything on chemicals this year, used what I had. I can't even imagine what a pool company would have charged me to adjust things

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.