Silver Supporter
Jul 6, 2018
Pittsburgh/PA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m assuming this is calcium build up? My dealer and manufacturer will not reply to me. My pool is supposed to be dark blue.
I poured some acid onto the steps while they were exposed hoping it would bubble and it did not.

Any recommendations?

Attachments

• 6A4A30DF-AB93-4DB4-8697-A40DC8EDF9E0.jpeg
    6A4A30DF-AB93-4DB4-8697-A40DC8EDF9E0.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 30
Please don’t pour straight acid into things, that can be very damaging. White vinegar is more than enough to make calcium carbonate scale fizz.

If it did not fizz then it’s hazing of the gelcoat. Essentially the gelcoat surface has broken down a bit and has become hazy kind of line when you leave a piece of clear plastic out in the sun too long. It develops roughness and microscopic cracking. If you take a piece of very fine grit polishing sand paper and rub it in an inconspicuous part of the pool, I bet the blue color will come back. Give it try.

It’s 5 years old. It would happen that quickly? I’ll update when I use the sand paper.

Yep. Depends on the chemistry of the water over those years. But all gelcoats will degrade in water, it’s simply in the nature of it. The blue colors seem to accentuate the haziness the most. White fiberglass doesn’t really show it and grays don’t tend to accentuate it as much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.