Buying used steps a bad idea?

May 7, 2017
Northern NJ
We built a deck and I am looking at pool stair options. I found someone who has the confer curve step at a good price but wondering if buying used steps is a bad idea? They have been sitting out of the pool all winter. Do I need to do something special to disinfect them before putting them in my pool? I am opening to crystal clear water and don't want to introduce anything.

Scrub 'em off so there's no loose stuff and toss 'em in. Maybe raise FC levels a little and let them soak a while before setting them in the final position.

I know some people here have drilled holes to allow freer circulation behind the steps. Some also stick the hose in there when adding water, to flush out behind.

I am considering ordering steps/stairs from someone in one of my local Facebook buy/sell groups and I have been looking on Craigslist as well. They are WAY too expensive to buy brand new for my $700 Intex pool lol

As long as they are in good shape and not cracked or broken I would have no issues buying used steps.

If they previous owner filled the steps with sand per the instructions be prepared for them to weigh over 100lbs. Exact weight will depend on have much water is still trapped in the sand.

Adding another in support of composite (vinyl) steps, as long as they are in visually good condition (assuming they are assembled, step on them!) Then I see no issue :) The metal "cheap" ladders I would inspect closely (unless new in the box!) :)

i bought mine off of facebook 2 years ago and have no problems with them. i did spray them down with bleach and let them sit in the hot sun for 2 days. then i just dropped it in the pool and all was good. i did put my weight on all the steps to make sure they would at least hold me, when i went to look at them

Last year I got a used wide step version of a ladder with a landing at the top. It fit over the wall of my above ground pool. Before I put it in, I powered washed it completely. Made sure there were no rough edges on the steps and bottom. It had wide steps and the landing which made it comfortable to get up and down. Railings and a locking gate made it secure. These sell for around 300.00 new. I got it for 40.00. Works like a charm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.