Bump handle on Hayward DE filter broke

tallpall

Jul 28, 2012
Don't know the model but it is 7 yrs old and services a 24 ft above ground really well. I over monkeyed the handle bumping it and it is now just uselessly moves up and down without moving the fingers. Have to open the filter up and wash the fingers to get my pressure down again, so have to fix this. What am I looking at for self repair? Would like to try that rather than buy probably some really expensive stuff? Anybody got into this before? Thx for any help!

You probably broke the plates that hold the fingers. You're going to need to take it apart and check it out. It might just be a broken clip.

Check YouTube for a video of the filter cleaning and disassembly process.

The parts diagram should also be helpful.

What exact model do you have?

James, thanks for the pointer to youtube for DE filter tutorials. Mine is an EC-50. They were very helpful and gave me confidence to jump right in and open it up. Found that the upper E clip was missing from the bump shaft. Took the shaft and remaining E clip to Ace Hardware and found a "close enough" replacement for it and put it all back together. Tube sheets, tubes and rubber separator were all still good and now it's working fine.

Ok, I'm glad that it was an easy fix. You might want to order some more clips because the ones you got might not be good stainless steel, which could mean that they will rust and fail.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.