Building new pool - need help on equipment

green indiana

Jun 18, 2012
In the process of getting bids for inground pool in indiana. Was hoping for feedback on the equipment suggested/wanted...
Vinyl liner 18x36 with auto cover
250 btu gas heater - Hayward Universal H series (H250FD)
cartridge filter
2 speed 1.5 HP pump - Hayward Tristar
Hayward SWG with Pro Logic Automation with Sense and Dispense

Curious if a 1.5 HP pump was too much since no spa, but wanted either a 2 speed or variable speed motor - run low most of time and high for increased water turnover.

Suggestions?

linen

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Welcome to tfp, green indiana :wave:

If you are going to get a cart filter, get a big one. Just guessing at you pool volume of 24000 (assuming a 5 ft average depth). The tfp recommendations would be a 360 sq. ft. filter or larger.

As for the pump, from looking at the curves of the tristar, I would lean towards the 1 hp 2-speed for you pool, though I am not very familiar with that pump.

green indiana

Jun 18, 2012
I will definitely increase the cartridge size and heater. Would there be any benefit for a variable speed vs 2 speed motor?

Thanks for the suggestions!

green indiana

Jun 18, 2012
Looking at either Coverstar or Automatic Pool Covers. Little worried about the aluminum under mount tracking with the SWG.

harleysilo

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2012
North Georgia
green indiana said:
Looking at either Coverstar or Automatic Pool Covers. Little worried about the aluminum under mount tracking with the SWG.
I love mine! They are actually coming out tomorrow to adjust it. I can ask the installer any questions you want. One thing I didn't realize was that I'm not supposed to walk on pit cover....I'd ask about that. I can take pics if you want too.

The other thing they don't talk about much is you have to put a pump on them when expecting rain.