Building an "ocean".........aka 18' Round Doughboy Saratoga w/In-Wall Entry Steps

kd did

Gold Supporter
May 5, 2017
Centennial, Colorado
After many, many years of wanting a pool and being told that the swim season was too short in Colorado, last summer our granddaughter asked her Papaw "will you build me an ocean?". And so it began-we started last year with an 18' Coleman softside ABP-just to test the waters and see how much we actually used it. Surprisingly the hubster was in it more than any of us-pool love has spread thru the house! This year we upgraded to a 18' Round Doughboy Saratoga w/In-Wall Entry steps and are doing the install ourselves.:oops: It was delivered on June 8th, and unfortunately it has rained pretty much every day since! :mad: We finally started digging on June 22nd, and here are pics of the progress to date-first pic is of the pad we used last year. We used a builders transit to level, as well as I built a bunyip for "double checking the hubster's work" :p Got everything level and added a bit of sand for smoothness. We are using an Armor Shield pad, as well as the Perfect Pool Bottom and wall foam. Feel free to speak up if you see something concerning........and a shout out to my brother-in-law Joe who spent his whole vacation working-putting in a pool is not easy work and we would still be leveling if he hadn't been here!

Attachments

• IMG_1399.jpeg
    IMG_1399.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Additional photos and a question-there is only one outlet cut in the pool wall other than the skimmer outlet-we added a main drain (which I know many have a love/hate relationship with) and it isn't a huge pool but should we add another? Thanks! Originally posted on the New Construction thread, but thought I probably should have started over here :oops:

Attachments

• IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0166.jpg
    IMG_0166.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 95
Any updated pics? I LOVE those steps, I really wish we had spent the extra money instead of getting the wedding cake steps. I know it's been a while since you asked about the number of outlets (skimmer and main), and if you've got a main drain and a skimmer, you don't need another. The only advantage to another skimmer would be if you have a TON of trees that would be blowing into your pool all the time. Another return on the other hand would aid in circulation.
Hope everything is turning out well!

Reactions: kd did
Pool is up and we LOVE the steps! Now on to building the deck...........
PS-I have another thread that has a few more pics on the "under construction" threads

Attachments

• IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0182.jpg
    IMG_0182.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0198.jpg
    IMG_0198.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: jrumms
Where did you get those steps and do you know if it is possible to mount in a pool other than a doughboy? We are replacing our liner in a 27ft, 52 inch - 2 ft buried pool and we WANT those steps. any advice or direction on how to get them and diy install would be so great. My husband is contractor so I know we can get it done... just need some direction. Thanks so much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where did you get those steps and do you know if it is possible to mount in a pool other than a doughboy? We are replacing our liner in a 27ft, 52 inch - 2 ft buried pool and we WANT those steps. any advice or direction on how to get them and diy install would be so great. My husband is contractor so I know we can get it done... just need some direction. Thanks so much.
We purchased ours through the Doughboy dealer, and so our pool wall was cut to fit from the manufacturer. The steps fit between two posts, so I think it would depend on the amount of space between your post. I asked the hubby (he is also a contractor :)) and he said thought it could work, but might be tricky. We received two extra posts to replace the 2 posts that the steps would be between and the holes all lined up perfectly. I'm sure Doughboy isn't the only manufacturer of these steps, but is what we have experience working with. I think I would start by going to the DB website, and looking at their in wall entry system. There is the installation manual as well as a video, that might be helpful to see if these steps would work for your pool. We are happy to answer any questions you might have.
They were a bit pricey, but we think they are totally worth the money ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.