Build thread? 27' round salt water AGP

Yeah, this is what the first trench looked like:
20210629_124147.jpg

Luckily, there was only a little water in the pool at the time, so it wasn't heavy enough to cave in:
20210701_092710.jpg

When the electricians sent their A team, the trench looked MUCH better:
20210701_093732.jpg

My installers just wrapped up for today. Skimmer is in, pump is in, filter is in, and the plumbed part of the SWCG is in. Electricians now have to come back to install the big, heavy part of the SWCG (yes, I'm sure that is the technical name for it) and do the bonding. All the glue is curing for now and pool is filling up more, so we'll turn the pump on in the morning when the water gets where it should be.
20210705_154523.jpg20210705_153530.jpg
Don't mind my mom already trying to clean some stuff out...
20210705_154539.jpg

Reactions: Newdude and mariane
Oh, and we started building the stairs, but I didn't have a pad to put under them to protect the liner, so we haven't put them in yet. And the liner pad says it won't be delivered now until July 15 😭
20210703_142948.jpg

Do your steps have a "ledge" underneath to put weights on to hold down the steps?
We have this under ours: pvc filled with sand and glued shut, sitting on a ballast tray.
DSCF0046.JPGDSCF0048.JPGDSCF0045.JPG

Attachments

• Easy-Entry-Step_260342TBallastTray36_800x800-300x300.jpg
    Easy-Entry-Step_260342TBallastTray36_800x800-300x300.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: BowserWowser

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do your steps have a "ledge" underneath to put weights on to hold down the steps?
We have this under ours: pvc filled with sand and glued shut, sitting on a ballast tray.
View attachment 352520View attachment 352521View attachment 352522
We don't have any kind of ledge, but I already have an idea of how we can pretty easily secure weights under the steps if we need to. We'll see how it all sets once everything is built. Since we don't have a deck, it has a "bridge" to connect to the outside steps, so the whole thing may be sturdy enough without weights.

In today's excitement, I did my first water testing - more to see how than to really test for results since there wasn't anything added to our water yet. My husband dumped the salt in the pool last night, but the SWCG isn't all hooked up yet and won't be until Monday afternoon, so...I put some liquid chlorine in it today and CYA in the skimmer.

And reached out to my homeowner's insurance to let them know we got a pool so, you know, I can pay them more :p

Last edited:
We dump salt in our pool just because. It does seem to feel a little better. So it won't be a problem. Although my son says he can taste the salt when he swims. (I can't)
Yeah, our pool guy had said it would be fine.

I'd previously read online that we would need to add about 8 gallons of chlorine since we started from 0. I don't know where I read that, but we've only added 3, and now our chlorine test result is darker than the darkest yellow on the test 😅 But our CYA is still low after 7 pounds, so between that and the tropical storm heading our way, hopefully the FC will come down.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm a little paranoid. Aiming for super longevity, and a pad isn't a huge expense, so figured why not.
the pads have two potential problems, first they don't stay in place very well and then if they do they can be a place for potential hidden algae problems. not a big deal, just remember to clean under them occasionally.

Yeah, our pool guy had said it would be fine. I just got mad because I got super frustrated with the test kit and tensely told my husband I needed him to help with testing and chemicals and stuff (since I've done literally everything for this pool so far myself even though he agreed to maintain it because I didn't WANT a pool because of the maintenance...), so instead of doing anything that actually NEEDED to be done, he added the salt, which could have waited until next week. I know he was only trying to help...*deep breath*

Anyway...I'd previously read online that we would need to add about 8 gallons of chlorine since we started from 0. I don't know where I read that, but we've only added 3, and now our chlorine test result is darker than the darkest yellow on the test 😅 But our CYA is still low after 7 pounds, so between that and the tropical storm heading our way, hopefully the FC will come down.
It gets easier. I promise. I do all the pool stuff, unless it's equipment ie. pump failure, that I can't figure out.
Anyway...I'd previously read online that we would need to add about 8 gallons of chlorine since we started from 0. I don't know where I read that, but we've only added 3, and now our chlorine test result is darker than the darkest yellow on the test 😅 But our CYA is still low after 7 pounds, so between that and the tropical storm heading our way, hopefully the FC will come down.
Yah, 8 gallons is a lot. Even though the chlorine looks high, it will come down as it's used up. It takes a day or so for the CYA to register correctly, so assume 60 ppm for your FC levels since you will be using a SWG.
Your FC range is 7-9ppm so it's not high at all based on your CYA to FC ratio.

Woohoo, first rookie mistake this morning! Had a storm blow through yesterday, so I emptied my skimmer basket this morning because it was full of pine needles and bugs. Some got down into the basket in the pump. I turned the pump off and opened it. Silly gravity - WATER EVERYWHERE. I don't see any valves between the skimmer and the pump, so I just read to get a tennis ball or something to block the skimmer before opening the pump.

Happy Friday! 😅

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude and mariane
Yah. Happened to all of us at one time or another (well maybe not everybody but I've done it even 15 years later when I'm not thinking)
We don't have valves either so we use plugs in the skimmer and return jet to stop the water.

Are you getting the hang of it yet? Also remember to check FC especially after a big storm. The debris if left too long can catch you by surprise and start the algae bloom.

so I just read to get a tennis ball or something to block the skimmer before opening the pump.
Check your skimmer for threads at the pipe opening. If you have them, buy a winterizing ‘gizmo’ that us northern folks use to seal off the pipe. Usually this is the kinda thing I recommend getting from the pool store because they are so cheap, a $3 markup doesn’t matter if you can get the right one today, but they probably don’t have them by you so check Amazon etc. There are only a few sizes so it’s easy enough to get the right one if you measure what you have.

Rubber plugs work great too available at all hardware stores / home centers, but being much smaller, good luck finding it when you haven’t needed it in 9 months. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.