Bubbles from side vent?

May 30, 2017
Spokane, WA
Just noticed that our side vent (probably not the right word, but where the water flows in from the filter) has a lot of bubbles recently. Is this normal? Should I do something to fix that? PSI on the sand filter is around where it normally is. Just making sure!

It's called a return, and bubbles aren't normal. Are there bubbles in the strainer basket on the pump? Normally this is the result of an air leak between the skimmer and/or main drain and the pump, or low water level in the pool.

No, not normal to have bubbles pouring out the pool return jet. (That's the word!)

If air is coming out, air is getting in somewhere on the suction side.

Start by checking the water level and the skimmer weir (flapper) for sticking. If the skimmer gets a vortex, it's sucking air. Those are easy to fix. Next most likely culprit is the kid to the pump strainer basket. Make sure it's tight and that the big O-ring isn't cracked or deformed. Check the pump drain plug, too.

Thanks for the quick replies - water level looks okay (about halfway up the skimmer) and our skimmer doesn't have a flap on it. When I open the port above the skimmer it is swirling in there, but not too much.

I checked the kid next to the pump and it looks as though everything is sealing properly - however on the pipe that goes INTO that strainer basket next to the pump it does look like there is a teeny water leak. Could this be the culprit?

Yes. The inlet is a common spot for leaks. It probably needs to get taken apart and retaped and reassembled. Too bad it sounds so much easier than it is. You can confirm it by dribbling a garden hose over the suspect area while the pump is on and see if the bubbles disappear.

Yes. The inlet is a common spot for leaks. It probably needs to get taken apart and retaped and reassembled. Too bad it sounds so much easier than it is. You can confirm it by dribbling a garden hose over the suspect area while the pump is on and see if the bubbles disappear.

My first solution after reading this was going to be to slap some sealant over it while the water is not running and then retest once it had dried. But judging from your signature, I'm guessing your response will be that this is a band-aid treatment and will end up costing more over the long run than taking apart and reassembled? I prefer long, sustainable fixes to the band-aid approach, but wasn't sure if in this instance it would last quite a while or fail in quick fashion?

- - - Updated - - -

I'll give the garden hose thing a try and see how that goes. If that does appear to be the issue, what's the urgency level on getting something like this fixed?

Richard, I've seen suggestions to use shaving cream before in one instance or another. If the garden hose doesn't produce a noticeable effect, would you try this? Or is that for diagnosing a different problem altogether? Not trying to hijack the thread, just wanting to add to it since I'm having the same issue and what helps me may help her or vice versa.

I'll give the garden hose thing a try and see how that goes. If that does appear to be the issue, what's the urgency level on getting something like this fixed?
My opinion: soon. When it's sucking air, the filter is also filling up with air, so there's less filtration going on. And the bubble in the filter will get compressed but when the p[ump is off, it will expand and push water backwards. If it ever pushes enough out, the pump may not prime some day and if it runs a long time dry, it can ruin it.

- - - Updated - - -

My first solution after reading this was going to be to slap some sealant over it while the water is not running and then retest once it had dried. But judging from your signature, I'm guessing your response will be that this is a band-aid treatment and will end up costing more over the long run than taking apart and reassembled? I prefer long, sustainable fixes to the band-aid approach, but wasn't sure if in this instance it would last quite a while or fail in quick fashion?

- - - Updated - - -

Richard, I've seen suggestions to use shaving cream before in one instance or another. If the garden hose doesn't produce a noticeable effect, would you try this? Or is that for diagnosing a different problem altogether? Not trying to hijack the thread, just wanting to add to it since I'm having the same issue and what helps me may help her or vice versa.
If you put sealant on it, it might end up gluing the pipe to the pump and then you won't be able to get it apart when you want to fix it right. Shaving cream works the same as water, but with a real big leak, water is simpler.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.