Bubbles coming out of return jets

May 16, 2017
Jasper Ga
I have small bubbles coming out of my return jets. Ive checked the skimmer and see no signs of air bubbles. I checked the pump basket and it did seem like air bubbles were in it so I filled it with more water, shut it very tight, andd released the air from the filter before turning the pump back on and the bubbles seemed to go away but then they came back. When i turn the filter off it sounds like air is coming from my chlorinator lid. Could this cause the problems of the bubbles? I took the lid apart and the O ring look like needs to be replaced. If this is the problem does the problem has to be fixed immediately? Im currently not using it so I'm trying to figure out if i can stop water flow to it?

The air valve on the filter needs to be opened when the pump is on to get all the air out, not before you turn on the pump. But if air keeps coming into the pump basket you likely have a suction side air leak like pooldv mentioned. If there is a valve on the old chlorinator try closing it off as much as you can. If no valve then replace the o ring. I'm guessing that won't solve the problem but you may get lucky.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay so a skimmer isn't supposed to whirlpool?

No it isn't supposed to.

Your and my definition of whirlpool could be different. There is a circular motion but absolutely no air making it's way into the skimmer drain.

Do you have more than one skimmer? Ideally you want them both doing equal amounts of work. Make sure all you valves are open. Is the skimmer weir (flapper door thingy) working properly? Most people keep the water at the mid point of the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.