Bubbles after back washing

Tracey R

Jun 14, 2019
Boerne TX
Should I back wash for a little bit longer time? I rinse each time after back washing. I have done each for about 15 seconds. Should I do each for a few seconds longer?

In the past week, I have back washed 2xs and each time I see bubbles forming on the top.

There really shouldn't be any bubbles coming out of the return jets. The exception might be some pools with a salt water generator, or a really dirty filter causing outgassing of sorts, resulting in small champagne-sized bubbles that may appear. But since you are just completing a backwash, I would increase the rinse time to about 30 seconds to see if that purges any air that may have been trapped in the filter vessle. If that doesn't work, you may need to go back to the suction side (between the poolside skimmer and pump) and look for any possibilities where air may be "seeping-in" to the system. The most common place is under the clear lid to the pump - that O-ring. Make sure it's lubed and lid tight. Then look eveyrwhere else as well. If you have been backwashing a lot, watch the pool's water level. When it gets low it can pull air in at the skimmer.

I thought that at first although the bubbles dissipate after a day or 2. I'd think if there was an air leak the bubbles would be constant.

I get bubbles (but only for a minute) after backwashing (or anytime I have removed the lid from the pump and cleaned the Crud out). I do think I have a slight leak somewhere in the system. The bubbles don't last long.

Reactions: Tracey R
You also have a SLAM thread in which you were asking about bubbles that remain on the surface of your water. Have you completed the SLAM yet? I believe in that thread you mentioned that you have not used any bleach that contains additives like scents, splashless, cloromax, etc. so if you have not yet completed your SLAM my guess is that the bubbles are related to some sort of reaction with the organics in your water as opposed to an equipment issue.

If you wanted to try backwashing a bit longer to see if it makes a difference, it won't hurt anything to try that. You could also try deep cleaning your sand filter if you think there may be something trapped in the sand that's causing the bubbles, but honestly, if you have not completed your SLAM, I wouldn't worry about the bubbles yet and see if finishing the SLAM takes care of it.

You also have a SLAM thread in which you were asking about bubbles that remain on the surface of your water. Have you completed the SLAM yet? I believe in that thread you mentioned that you have not used any bleach that contains additives like scents, splashless, cloromax, etc. so if you have not yet completed your SLAM my guess is that the bubbles are related to some sort of reaction with the organics in your water as opposed to an equipment issue.

If you wanted to try backwashing a bit longer to see if it makes a difference, it won't hurt anything to try that. You could also try deep cleaning your sand filter if you think there may be something trapped in the sand that's causing the bubbles, but honestly, if you have not completed your SLAM, I wouldn't worry about the bubbles yet and see if finishing the SLAM takes care of it.
No unfortunately I am still SLAMing. It's blue but cloudy still. For the $ I have spent on LC I could've purchased a SWCG already :/ That is my most frustrating part. I didn't post this bubbles question on that thread because I hoped this was just a quick question. I think we've answered it :) or at least I know I'm getting there.
I can't wait to get this thing done

How do I deep clean the sand filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tracy,

All the causes mentioned in this thread can cause bubbles. The suction lid is most common. But if you have this only after back-flush as you did with the SLAM I'm pretty sure that's the issue. Try Dave's suggestion and see if that helps. Could also be there's a problem with your back-flush valve not sealing. Let us know how Dave's suggestions work and we'll go from there.

So sorry you''re having this issue. Usually SLAMing is easier than this but there are those stubborn problems usually due to some weird equipment issue or lack of diligence with the SLAM method. Based on your previous posts I don't think it's the latter and it very well could be the valve or that you're not getting a good back-flush before you switch back to normal operation so you get a slug of the the mucky bubbly stuff floating around right after.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Tracy,

All the causes mentioned in this thread can cause bubbles. The suction lid is most common. But if you have this only after back-flush as you did with the SLAM I'm pretty sure that's the issue. Try Dave's suggestion and see if that helps. Could also be there's a problem with your back-flush valve not sealing. Let us know how Dave's suggestions work and we'll go from there.

So sorry you''re having this issue. Usually SLAMing is easier than this but there are those stubborn problems usually due to some weird equipment issue or lack of diligence with the SLAM method. Based on your previous posts I don't think it's the latter and it very well could be the valve or that you're not getting a good back-flush before you switch back to normal operation so you get a slug of the the mucky bubbly stuff floating around right after.

I hope this helps.

Chris
Is Dave “Duraleigh”?
I truly appreciate y’all’s help

No unfortunately I am still SLAMing. It's blue but cloudy still. For the $ I have spent on LC I could've purchased a SWCG already :/ That is my most frustrating part.

How do I deep clean the sand filter?

A SWCG really needs clean water with a proper chlorine level to begin with, so you would have needed all that liquid anyway if it’s any comfort.

I’m going to try to put in the link you need for deep cleaning a sand filter. Completing that process may help finish off your SLAM.

Edited to add: Yes, Dave is Duraleigh. He gives great advice.

Second edit: I can’t remember from your other thread where you’re getting your chlorinating liquid, but I just thought I’d mention that if you buy four boxes of three at Home Depot, the price of each box lowers to 8.98 at the register. You just need to check the dates on the boxes to make sure you get the freshest stuff.

Last edited:
A SWCG really needs clean water with a proper chlorine level to begin with, so you would have needed all that liquid anyway if it’s any comfort.

I’m going to try to put in the link you need for deep cleaning a sand filter. Completing that process may help finish off your SLAM.

Edited to add: Yes, Dave is Duraleigh. He gives great advice.

Second edit: I can’t remember from your other thread where you’re getting your chlorinating liquid, but I just thought I’d mention that if you buy four boxes of three at Home Depot, the price of each box lowers to 8.98 at the register. You just need to check the dates on the boxes to make sure you get the freshest stuff.
I am getting my LC at Home Depot. Purchasing it 8 boxes at a time. I hope to lessen that purchasing with the SWCG. It has slowed down but I have been purchasing 2xs weekly since this began. Maybe more (I hate to think about that) when I began. I'll have to start looking at the dates but with the frequency I'm using it I figure they're restocking often. LOL

Thank you for the link. I'll review it and get that done.

I am getting my LC at Home Depot. Purchasing it 8 boxes at a time. I hope to lessen that purchasing with the SWCG. It has slowed down but I have been purchasing 2xs weekly since this began. Maybe more (I hate to think about that) when I began. I'll have to start looking at the dates but with the frequency I'm using it I figure they're restocking often. LOL

Thank you for the link. I'll review it and get that done.
Tracy,

After 5 years of liquid chlorine pool I switched a few months ago to SWG. It was easy and fantastic. No more jugs to cart around! But do keep in mind that you won't get any help from this with a cloudy or green pool that needs a SLAM. In fact we recommend you turn it off 'till you finish a SLAM. SWG's are great for maintaining a gorgeous pool but they don't make anywhere near enough FC to do a SLAM. What it does do is make it much easier to keep the FC at the right level. Also many (including our family) really like the feel of the pool. My wife loves it, says it feels like a spa. The salinity is only slight, about 10% as salty as ocean water so when you open your eyes under water it just doesn't burn like non-salt or ocean water. For all the years I had a non-swg pool I usually only had to add .5 gal every other day or so. Since yours is bigger and not screen enclosed you will need about 2x of mine but yours will get there too.

Chris

Tracy,

After 5 years of liquid chlorine pool I switched a few months ago to SWG. It was easy and fantastic. No more jugs to cart around! But do keep in mind that you won't get any help from this with a cloudy or green pool that needs a SLAM. In fact we recommend you turn it off 'till you finish a SLAM. SWG's are great for maintaining a gorgeous pool but they don't make anywhere near enough FC to do a SLAM. What it does do is make it much easier to keep the FC at the right level. Also many (including our family) really like the feel of the pool. My wife loves it, says it feels like a spa. The salinity is only slight, about 10% as salty as ocean water so when you open your eyes under water it just doesn't burn like non-salt or ocean water. For all the years I had a non-swg pool I usually only had to add .5 gal every other day or so. Since yours is bigger and not screen enclosed you will need about 2x of mine but yours will get there too.

Chris
Chris,
I back washed and rinsed longer last evening. NO bubbles ?? I learn something new everyday thanks to TFP :)

I have not purchased the SWG yet. I try to be prepared although without knowing how long this SLAM will continue, I see no reason to purchase the generator and have it sitting around wasting it's warranty in the box on the floor of my shop.

Kuddos to you for doing 5 years of jug lugging. That's a few trips to the pool. LOL I'm glad to hear the SWG has done well for you. I hope mine will do the same once I get it installed.

Thanks for the encouraging words!
Tracey

Hang in there! After the algae kill the filter does all the work. You're learning some stuff the hard way; we all do that with some aspect of pool care and it will help you in the long run.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.