Silver Supporter
May 23, 2020
Dallas, GA, United States
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Thanks to TFP we have been able to keep our pool cleaner than ever and have done a much better job on our own than when we had hired people.

However, I noticed when the leaves fell in over fall and spring despite us cleaning them out the stairs turned brown and the there is a bit of brown along the water line. I have brushed the stairs and wall and in some places you can see the lines of a brush but overall the stain is still there.

Has this ever happened to any of you and how did you get rid of it? I assume once our water warms up enough in the next couple of weeks I will need to manually get in and scrub? Our pool is vinyl liner and we have what seems to be the standard plastic steps going in. Just not sure what to use as our regular large pool brush isn’t doing much of anything.

Leaves contain tannin which is staining when left to sit. Try raising your FC a point or two and brushing and seeing if this helps.

Do you know if you have iron in the water? Take some cheap Vitamin C tablets and put them in a sock. Bang it up a bit and lay the sock on the stairs - does it remove the stain?

Maddie :flower:

It was iron! Couldn’t believe it! But it was amazing to see the stains magically disappear. I put a metal remover tab thing in the skimmer and so far even with high PH or Alkaline levels we have not had it return.

thanks for the tips as always

If ever your water turns orange-ish, often after adding a mess of chlorine that's the best time to get rid of the iron. Put polyfil into your skimmer and it will capture iron as the water moves thru. You just need to rinse the polyfill and put it back until the pool is clear of iron.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Smaccarone
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.