Brown stains all over the shallow end

@JamesW, early-on in this thread the OP tried dry acid on the stain (copper) with no apparent changes. Does that seem odd?
Hard to tell, I think that there are probably several layers of stain. I suspect that there's copper covered with scale and maybe some iron.

If the sulfamic acid works, I would drain and refill if it can be done safely without popping the pool out of the ground.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Hello, quick update: I used Jacks Magic #2, as first suggested by you plus as confirmed by the test kit. I am happy to report that my stains are 85% gone. I now gave up on the remaining stain and am hopeful I can use the pool today for the first time this season.

First of all, I wanted to mention that I found Jacks Magic Representative extremely helpful - I spoke to him 5 times and he was always super helpful and patient.

now, here is my question - what do I do with my Chlorine situation following the application of Jacks Magic #2. When talking to Jacks Magic, they are not suggesting that I try to drain and replace the water.

my readings are as follows:
TA 90%
Ph 7.7
cya 32%
free chlorine 0.5
total chlorine 9.8 (measured at a pool store)

My pool water is just a touch cloudy.

i’ve been adding one gallon of 12% chlorine /pool shock every day for the last 3 days. I am afraid to add more as I was told (Says so also on the instructions for #2) not to shock the pool as staining may return.

so my questions are these:
1. must I fully drain and replace water? Or partial drain?
2. if I didn’t want to drain, how do I manage chlorine?

Thanks vm!!!

Reactions: markayash
1. Remember that with ANY sequestrant, once the stains are lifted the iron is still in the pool/water. Perhaps the MJ rep recommended not replacing the water because you might be adding the same iron source back in. Only if you know you can get fresh non-metal water is replacement warranted. But the only way to truly remove metals is by water exchange from a clean source.
2. Once stains are lifted you need chlorine back in the water. If you get algae, then it's back to the SLAM Process and all bets are off. Just because you are increasing FC to regular levels as noted on the FC/CYA Levels does not equate to a "shock level" as cautioned by the MJ rep. So once the stains were lifted, you should be slowly but steadily increasing the proper daily level. It can seem slow because your sequestrant may be eating-up the chlorine as well, but you have to get the FC back to avoid algae. Hopefully it's not too last as you already oted cloudiness.

If you have to do the MJ routine again, you might look at doing it in the early spring at opening when the water is still cold which helps slow the rate of organic activity (algae). Summertime is always a bit tricky.

Thanks Texas Splash!
i wonder why the MJ rep would say that I don’t need to replace the water then!

to replace the water - I’ve never done that. Do I empty the pool first and then start refilling, or can I simultaneously drain and refill at the same time?
Thanks!

From a MJ standpoint, he might just believe that if the iron is controlled, the water doesn't need to be replaced. But it's still there and more MJ product will be required later since they wear-off. Exchanging water in a pool can vary on type and local conditions - specifically the water table below. We almost never recommend removing all water at once, but a large water exchange is more efficient than a bunch of little ones. There are also ways to add & remove water simultaneously. The link below will give you some info on that. But the #1 thing to remember is that if replacing the water, the new water must be iron-free or it was all for nothing. Also take a look at the other thread below which is a very good testimonial of how one pool owner managed to get past their iron delima.

Thanks again.
my staining is copper that came from my pool heater as my pool water was imbalanced upon pool opening. That led, most likely, to the bleeding of copper into the pool, I was told ny the MJ rep.

one more thing I just noticed when I added bleach just now - almost instantly the water became very cloudy !!! Why? This never happened to me. Would you know what may be the reason for this?

appreciate your help.

I am just beyond stressed right now, lol!!!
Understandable. You'll get it. Now that you know the metals was actually from the copper, you can plan a way forward. Sequestrant is fine for now, but as time goes on doing water exchanges will help to lower the copper level and eventually help you break-free from the sequestrant routine. Try to get the FC up to at least 3-4 ppm and monitor. If staining returns at that low of an FC level, then there simply is too much copper in the water and you should exchange as soon as you can. If you raise the FC to 3-4 ppm and everything seems fine except the cloudiness, give it a day or two. If the cloudiness remains or gets worse, do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to ensure you don't have an early algae bloom in the making.

This is why I usually recommend draining and refilling. The water now has sulfamic acid and copper and iron. This makes it difficult to manage.

You can try to get back to normal balance but it's difficult.

Don't drain and refill without making sure that it's safe to do so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. Yes, this has been an ordeal.

shouldnt pool filter catch the copper and thus remove it from the pool? I assume that’s why JM representative isn’t recommending to drain and refill?

how do I “ensure that it is safe to drain and refill”?

Metals come out of solution at random places. That's why they were stains in the first place. Filters can catch some metals, but not reliably. Most metals don't get caught in the filter. Check with a local service person regarding draining and refilling. Do you have a picture of what the pool looks like now?

Thanks James.
I can’t take the picture now as the water is murky. Once the water clears, I will post a picture. As I said, the stain is 85% gone. I sort of decided to try to enjoy the pool now vs continuing with the stain treatment. I plan on finishing Removing all the stain at the end of the season. Now that I know how painful and unpredictable the process is, I am not so sure that I want to do it again!!!

oh well.
Thanks again and regards.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.