aknpool

Dec 16, 2020
Austin, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I noticed that the chlorine tablets ran out on the chlorinator and I filled them back up a couple of days ago. Today I noticed that some brown spots on the pool surface.

Fc is 2, cc is zero.
Ph is 8.2 and alkalinity is 180

There has been a fair amount of pollen on the pool surface. I did recently clean the filter out. Any idea why the brown spots showed up after I added chlorine tabs. Do I need to be worried?

I am about to add some muriatic acid to reduce alkalinity today.

Attachments

• 415970F2-DBB2-4E7A-B3F8-95564596888A.jpeg
    415970F2-DBB2-4E7A-B3F8-95564596888A.jpeg
    531.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 2E8C156E-0C2A-415F-81BC-7749DEBE8CE2.jpeg
    2E8C156E-0C2A-415F-81BC-7749DEBE8CE2.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 15
Those spots look like something fell into the pool and moved a bit (i.e. tannin dropping, acorns, etc). I would do two things right away:
1 - Increase your FC (using liquid chlorine) according to your current CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. In fact, elevate the FC slightly higher than normal on that chart for a day or two and be sure to brush that area well.
2 - Lower your pH a bit. If your water is still chilly like mine, a pH of 7.8 is fine. But 8.2 or higher might need just a little acid.

Watch those pucks! They are increasing your CYA and could be tough to manage. Post a full set of water results if you still have questions.

Thanks, I got the taylor kit and saw that the CYA level was very high. I've stopped the chlorinator and since then used liquid chlorine to SLAM the pool and have had good results so far.

I've stopped the chlorinator and since then used liquid chlorine to SLAM the pool and have had good results so far.
That's a good start and glad to hear you're making progress. Sounds like you are already familiar with our FC/CYA Levels to balance FC and CYA, as well as our link to the SLAM Process page. But if you have any questions, give us a shout.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.