Brown discoloration around new intex pool

camhart

Jun 17, 2022
Dallas, TX
Hey everyone,

TLDR: We have brown spots (see attached picture). How can we get rid of it?

We just bought a small 12' round, 30" high intex pool (1700 gallons). We spent about a week swimming in it while I was learning pool maintenence waiting to get the TF 100 pro kit as well as a bunch of chemicals. While waiting I tossed 3 cups of chlorine in at night on two occasions. I did so blindly to try to be safe, but it didn't last long (no CYA in it at that time). Our pool water was getting cloudy towards the end, and had some yellowish spots appearing around the upper rim and bottom rim of the pool. I decided we needed to SLAM it.

I added some muratic acid to get the PH down to 7.2 (was at 8.2). Then I put CYA granules into an old sock, tossed it in a basket, and let it hang right over the return. After an hour or two I put a glove on and crushed the granules with my hand to try to speed it up. I waited 24 hours, tested CYA, and it came back at 40. All set to SLAM.

For the past 2 days now, I've been adding liquid chlorine (bleach, non scented, normal splash aka not no splash) and trying to keep the FC up at 16 per the chart shown at Chlorine / CYA Chart. The water is absolutely starting to look more clear (hurray!).

But... now we have these brown spots appearing along the liner. There's one big ring of it going around the outer perimeter of the bottom of the pool. And in the past day it's started to slowly creep in more it seems. I've brushed and brushed to no avail--brushing isn't making a difference.

A friend recommended we put stall mats (see https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/horse-stall-mats) underneath the pool because we set it up on cement to both protect the pool and make it a touch softer on the feet. The brown discoloration can be seen around the entire bottom permeter of the pool as well as a couple areas along the edges of the stall mats.

Any thoughts what might be causing it, and if its possible to remove it?

Should I try the crushed vitamine C trick? I read about that on here--don't have any vitamin C would need to go pick some up.

Thank you!

Cam

Attachments

• 20220624_203735.jpg
    20220624_203735.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 9
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.