Broken/Repaired Pipes, Pump won't Prime, No Water Flow

UPDATE-
Got a bladder that hooks up to the garden hose and seals inside the pipe- ran it full blast... NOTHING. No water leaking out from around the area the repairs were done, and no movement in the pool (at least as far as I can tell).

Put a larger shop vac up (5hp) to the suction side after the jandy, NO AIR BUBBLES at all coming thru, but a ton of build up pressure (could barely keep the end of the hose held against the port).

I'm at a loss at this point. It must REALLY be clogged up good. Either they cut it back open, and dig it out of there.... or just never use the main drains? I used them before and I know they were working just fine. I'm a little torn with this as my landscaper is such a nice guy, and he SEVERELY under bid the job he did for me- but he also busted the lines and put them back together with them clogged, so that should be on him to fix/pay for.

The pipes are all Sch 40, btw. I'd love to hear any advice you have.

Thanks!

Two possiblities

1 huge hole somewhere else where water is going to, doesn't appear like this from the pic

2 pipes are blocked, that's why the shop vac doesn't want to stay hooked up, nowhere to go. The garden hose has a good seal so when it pressures up it just stops.

I don't like the way they fixed it, they need to dig the line out 5' or more away from the pool so a collar can be stabbed and it's a straight run. It's ok he's your friend and he's taking a loss buts that's in him. Since he's your friend your helping him out by diagnosing it yourself.

If it were me I'd call him up and get some guys with shovels and dig it and fix it like I mentioned above. Cut the pipe and flush with water from both ends

Well, not a friend but my landscaper. I don't like how he fixed it either- but- how do you get a collar on 2 straight pipes without seriously bending them in place?

Can you explain the 2 pipes thing? Don't the 2 drains simply merge into one pipe, and that single pipe is the one that's clogged?

Thank you for the help...

Have the guys follow the pipes and dig back a good 7 feet or more if possible. Dig out a little better on back of pool shell so the area is clean. Cut out all that garbage he put in and leave open. Use a hose and stick into piping by pump and seal with rag. Run for a while on main drains and flush lines. Run on skimmer and flush lines. Goto the skimmer run hose in that and flush back. Then use vacuum and try to suck main drains up. If you cant you have to dive in and remove covers and get a small plumber's snake and snake the line down flushing with water behind it into the pool.
What is the 3rd break for? Or is it 2 skimmers and a drain. Or return line?

When you get all that done you will have enough room to use couplings and straight pipe and bend it up to make your joint nice and tight. Leave pipe in sun it will bend no problem. You dont want all those 90s in there no matter what

Those 90's are fine, it's called a saddle repair, and there is no substitute for glued fittings to underground pipe repair, unlike the home depot gimmicks etc.
Pools aren't "race cars" i could glue 8, 90's on each pipe and you wouldn't even notice a difference.

The dirt in that hole would have to be packed into the pipe to cause a clog, and even then water would slowly break it down into small enough pieces to be pulled into pump basket, so any amount of dirt that may have entered pipe after it was cut would be minimal,
hold some dirt in your hand, put some water on it and it easily breaks down, doubtful that will clog pipe.

Those bladder things are a joke, and you would agree with me on that after you watched me unclog a line with my CO2 tank,

1) There's a leak in the main drain line where it was repaired at a glue joint ( looks suspicious )
2) There is another area on the line still damaged.
3) If you haven't already, isolate which line is main drain line and focus on that.

Just because you don't see leaking water, doesn't mean it doesn't suck air, run some glue around the main drain line fittings at repair end while pump is running, it will suck glue in joint if it leaks air,

Having repaired severy 3" PVC underground lines the 90's trick is unacceptable especially in this case where there is room to dig it up. Why do you think it's not acceptable? Every connection is a possible leak point and ^ is right, you probably have a joint leaking air.

Fix is right, with two collars and a short section of pipe.

Modern main drains are supposed to tee together right next to each other and run one line back to the pad.

OK- I'm going to stop into a couple pool stores and talk to those guys. My landscaper is supposed to be sending a pool guy out to take a look as well (same pool guy who instructed him on these repairs). I'll keep this updated- but my thoughts to all the above comments-

- It's pulling water in just fine from the skimmer basket, no issues, air bubbles or water leaks there. If that's a separate line than the main drains, not sure why I'd need to do anything with that.
- With the main drain line- since it won't pull water in, or push water or air back the other way, it makes me think there's a serious clog. There's no water leaks (visible) around the repair. I'm open there's an air leak, or another leak somewhere else- however, I would think there'd be some 'give' when trying to push water/air back thru it, right?
- I'll try to look for an air leak on that pipe today and see what I can find.

I'll report back with any updates. ;)

THANK YOU ALL SOO MUCH!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.