Broken Igniter

picchu55

Jun 16, 2020
Oklahoma City, OK
Recently had a local pool guy out to repair my heater. Turns out the igniter was broken. He replaced it and all was well for a bit. Come the next week when I tried to fire the heater up, it wouldn't light and gave me an ignition lockout error. Having watched what the pool guy did before, I started poking around to see what I could find. Turns out the igniter has broken again. Before I drop $50 for the replacement part on Amazon, is there something else in my heater I should be checking since I've busted 2 igniters in short order? Or did I just get unlucky?

Is the igniter one of the ceramic "W"/"M" shaped hot surface igniter? I suspect it is. If the installer touched the ceramic with his fingers, the oil from that can cause the igniter to burn out. It is possible that you may have also won the lottery as I have had brand new ones fail within a few days. You should be able to pick up a new one for a lot less than $50. These are universal and I find them on Ebay for around $20 all the time. In fact the local heating supply shop here can't match that price usually so I buy several to keep in stock ( I repair home heating systems during the winter months).

Dan

It's definitely ceramic, but it's coiled, not the W/M shape. I didn't look for this one anywhere locally. I've had a horrible time finding any sort of parts for my pool locally, so I've had to purchase everything through Amazon. Although I didn't think to check a heating supply shop. Makes sense that these would be universal to some extent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.