Brand New Pool Owner: Corner Joint Issue Issue on Rectangular Intex 12x24

LandDPool

May 24, 2021
Iowa City, IA
We are brand new to the above ground pool setup. We had the ground professionally leveled and set up the pool a couple of days ago. During the last 1' or so of filling, the corner joint has shifted. It is still in the end bar fully on the long side, but just barely on the short side. I stopped filling when I noticed this shift, we only have ~6 more inches to the fill line. It looks like this may be be due to the cement block shifting out under the leg.

We're looking for advice on how to fix this without emptying, and if this is unsafe to be swimming in. The edge that is slipping out is still in the short-side straight bar, but it's very close the edge of coming out. Is it possible that it would could come out if people are hanging on it or playing in the pool?

Attachments

• PoolCorner4.jpg
    PoolCorner4.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 53
  • PoolCorner3.jpg
    PoolCorner3.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 48
  • PoolCorner2.jpg
    PoolCorner2.jpg
    770.3 KB · Views: 50
  • PoolCorner1.jpg
    PoolCorner1.jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 50
Welcome to TFP :)

it is already out from under the leg, the only thing holding it there is the flap the leg is held through... it is holding on for its life right now... You can see that leg is a good 1 to 2 inches lower than the other leg right across from it...

I hate to say it but the only way your getting that back under the leg is to let the water out... That water weighs thousands of pounds right now and there is no way to lift that leg... the water weighs 66,640 pounds or 33.3 tons

1621865165624.png

Thanks so much for your help @cowboycasey , I was afraid of that. Any chance that since that leg shifted during the last 2 hours of filling that we may be able to pound the block into place after only letting out a partial amount of water? Also, since the corner joint is still in the framing and hasn't come completely out, will the weight of the water pushing out the walls keep the walls up and safe (even though it doesn't look nice)?

Last edited:
"maybe" that one leg is holding about 3 tons of weight... if you were able to hammer it under the leg it would still be low.. I have had low spots on my install for 8 years and no issues have come form it but I was willing to let it ride and see..

Reactions: LandDPool
Sure you could probably maybe get a block back under that leg but that's not going to fix the frame corner that is about to pop out of the joint.

I certainly would want to be hammering away under that unstable corner with that much water over my head. You will get throw by the escaping water rather forcefully if it lets go.

I would drain the water before trying to correct that corner. Its safer and you will be able to repair it correctly.

Reactions: LandDPool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.