Bought a foreclosure, fixing pool

576587_3878966943024_1544306547_3193046_2104274551_a.jpg

Crappy cell phone pic.

Oh btw, a problem I've noticed...

My drain in the bottom of the deep end doesn't draw any water whatsoever.

I have one skimmer, and under the basket are two hole. One is obviously pulling, and the other has no discernable movement/suction.

Thoughts?

One pipe comes from the main drain and the other goes to the pump. There should be a diverter plate in the bottom of the skimmer under the basket.

Depending on the make of your skimmer (and if it's tied to the main drain) you'll need either a spaceship
lovingHDTV-SkimmerDiverter.jpg

or a twinkie
joenj-SkimmerDrainDiverter.jpg

looking device.

Those let you adjust the amount of water coming from the MD. But first you need to make sure the main drain is connected to the bottom of the skimmer. Do you have separate pipes for the skimmer and main drains at the equip pad?

chiefwej said:
One pipe comes from the main drain and the other goes to the pump. There should be a diverter plate in the bottom of the skimmer under the basket.
Ok, so the one not pulling obviously goes to the main drain, if it goes anywhere.

The one that pulls is obviously to the pump then!

I currently have no diverter plate or anything. The skimmer has two holes, and a skimmer basket. That's it.

Bama Rambler said:
Those let you adjust the amount of water coming from the MD. But first you need to make sure the main drain is connected to the bottom of the skimmer. Do you have separate pipes for the skimmer and main drains at the equip pad?

There is only one pipe coming from pool to pump. The other piping is for the solar, etc. Thankfully all labelled!

So, with only the one pipe, the main drain HAS to be routed through the skimmer (#2 hole), and I just need a spaceship or a twinkie. Recommendations on either, and their proper names so I can do some shopping? I'm really betting the twinkie is going to be the way to go...

brainchasm said:
Yeah, I saw those, but they look to be 15% or less. Trying to work smarter, not harder.

Forgive me for butting in on your thread, but I wanted to comment on your above statement.

First, I purchased a 2-pack from Lowes last spring and it is 31.5% HCL. This is VERY stong acid and a weaker solution would be preferred, especialy for a smaller pool as yours. I have a 6000 gal salt water pool that steadily increases in pH. My pool was open for ~ 5 months last season and I used about 20% of the bottle, so one bottle will last ~ 5 years.

FYI: I sell industrial water treatment chemicals as a profession and Muratic acid can be scary if not handled properly. Muratic acid is hydrochloric acid and gasses off (chlorine gas) at ambient temperatures. The strongest available industrial strength is 38% and requires a fullface respirator to use as it fumes so badly, and the 31.5% I have definitely fumes. A 15% solution would be much safer, and while you would use twice as much, the safety factor should be heavily considered IMO.

brainchasm said:
So, with only the one pipe, the main drain HAS to be routed through the skimmer (#2 hole), and I just need a spaceship or a twinkie. Recommendations on either, and their proper names so I can do some shopping? I'm really betting the twinkie is going to be the way to go...

The "spaceship" type is much mor common and should be available at any pool store. Start with the little flap on the bottom of it half open and adjust from there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ike0069 said:
brainchasm said:
Yeah, I saw those, but they look to be 15% or less. Trying to work smarter, not harder.

Forgive me for butting in on your thread, but I wanted to comment on your above statement.

First, I purchased a 2-pack from Lowes last spring and it is 31.5% HCL. This is VERY stong acid and a weaker solution would be preferred, especialy for a smaller pool as yours. I have a 6000 gal salt water pool that steadily increases in pH. My pool was open for ~ 5 months last season and I used about 20% of the bottle, so one bottle will last ~ 5 years.

FYI: I sell industrial water treatment chemicals as a profession and Muratic acid can be scary if not handled properly. Muratic acid is hydrochloric acid and gasses off (chlorine gas) at ambient temperatures. The strongest available industrial strength is 38% and requires a fullface respirator to use as it fumes so badly, and the 31.5% I have definitely fumes. A 15% solution would be much safer, and while you would use twice as much, the safety factor should be heavily considered IMO.
I appreciate your concern. I've worked with and handled scary chemicals a fair bit, usually in a cleanroom/lab situation. I'm ok with normal-scary stuff (but not crazy-scary stuff, like http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/things_i_wont_work_with/.

As it is, I found the 31.45% at the pool store for cheap, and that's good enough. It fumes a bit when I pour it in, but such is life. I just finished my third pH/TA drop cycle, and am finally at 80ppm TA, so I can do borates once the pH gets back to 7.6! My borate project will eat up the rest of this two-pack. :D

Ok, I verified the main drain is connected to the skimmer, via the hole that has no flow (put my vacuum hose in the pump hole, other end in the main drain hole, and the drain started slowly gathering stuff on the bottom. The pump also complained a bit, so I didn't leave it, but it was a simple verification.

I'm fairly sure I need the twinkie device...but does it have a proper name? My google-fu is not finding it. Also, I believe I have a Hayward C 1070 skimmer (but I'd need to doublecheck to be positive...the number was only on the lid, and those are a dime a dozen).

Also noticed Blue Haven secondarily branded EVERYTHING. Just thought it was a bit funny.

According to Hayward the correct diverter is A Hayward skim-master 1070. It's the most common one avail at any pool store or online at about $25-$30.

Installed new weir the other day; it really does seem to help!

Also, checked numbers last night, and it was finally time - borates!

Did half the acid first, then half the borax, then the other halves. Only took it to 32ppm of borates, but the water definitely looks and feels different!

Now here's hoping the chlorine demand goes down too!

TA went up to 100ppm after borates were fully dissolved, and pH bounced right back to 7.6.

everything_went_better_than_expected.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.