Both Drain Plugs Broke in the Pool Housing/Strainer

illtiger1

Bronze Supporter
Oct 29, 2008
I have a Hayward Superpump SP1600X and Hayward Housing SPX1600AA. While opening my pool today, I broke both drain plugs (Hayward SPX1700FG) while screwing them into the pool housing/strainer unit. In both cases, the heads detached from the threaded part. I have everything going as I used some Water Weld to gum up the areas, but it's already leaking a bit in both places. Is there something I can use to seal both openings with the screw portions still stuck in there? I'm assuming there is no way I can get them out now to replace the drain plugs. Thank you.

Old, ez-outs and extraction sets you listed are usually for metal-based bolts, et el. If OP uses something like this, they'd be best suited w something w much larger "bites" on the extraction bit bc they are extracting plastic parts.

Another option would be too get a drill set and start w med size bit and drill dead center for first round, then go up one size until the drill bit is too large that could damage threads. At this point, one should be able to pull out plug w needle-nose if the center has been drilled out enough to weaken the integrity of the whole plug. Might take a chisel and rubber mallet and hit plug inward to break it apart-

CAUTION - DO USE A CORD-BASED DRILLED BC WATER WILL BE COMING OUT OF PLUGS

I'd start with the hot screwdriver. If that didn't work, then a left-hand drill bit in a cordless drill. Half the time the bit bites and unscrews the broken screw, at least far enough to grab with pliers. If it doesn't, then you have a nice hole to tap a Torx bit or an EZ-out into to unscrew it.

Wow! Thank you all for the great advice. I think I'm going to try out the hot screwdriver method. I have the parts coming in on Saturday, so I'll run the filter with the water weld until then as the leaks are relatively minor at this point. I just opened the pool so I really want to get it cleaned up with chemicals and vacuum tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll heat the flathead up with my gas grill? Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.