Borax Question

May 30, 2012
Allentown, PA
Will this work as a PH+? I have been having issues with my pool getting cloudy for two days if I add soda ash. I like to try to aerate to raise PH but we have gotten a bit of rain lately. I notice Borax does not cloud my pool. 20 Mule Borax is Sodium Tetraborate. Thanks

Yes, Borax will raise pH with minimal increase to TA unlike soda ash which strongly raises both and can cause calcium carbonate scaling.

But why is your pH dropping? What are your current test results?

Rain typically has minimal impact on pH unless it is a significant exchanges of water (inches of water). Perhaps your TA is too low.

Thanks for helping. My PH is not dropping it is locked at about 7.4 and I want to get it up to 7.8 and try to keep it there because of my SWG. Also the water seems tough on the kids eyes. The link I listed states that it is Sodium Borate is that the same as Sodium Tetraborate? Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.