Borate = 100? Uh Oh! Now what???

This thread was timely! I’m awaiting a delivery from TFTESTKITS later today with my first ever set of Borate test strips. Gonna see what my level is and then add enough to get to 50ppm. Hoping to buffer my pH better with Borates.

This should be interesting, I ordered all the items needed for the borate test. We’ll see what the differences are in a week or so.

i’ll post results and comparisons

The results are in...

Taylor was great. They supposedly tested the batch my strips came from and the batch was good.

They sent me a replacement bottle just in case and to compare.

I also bought Lamotte strips in the mean time.

I also bought the required items for the actual borate drop test.

I’ll start with the drop test. It showed 44ppm. Which is exactly where I thought it should be.

Strip Test results attached.

1st is the original Taylor strips (bad batch)

2nd is the Lamotte strip

3rd is the old Taylor side by side with the new Taylor.

Attachments

• 25BA6923-CAEE-477D-B8EB-D7A0565319A2.jpeg
    25BA6923-CAEE-477D-B8EB-D7A0565319A2.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 2DB065BC-C4BA-4791-9BDD-1DDBAA1DDD72.jpeg
    2DB065BC-C4BA-4791-9BDD-1DDBAA1DDD72.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 20
  • FE4B99FB-7386-4276-ABFC-EABDC12EBD0B.jpeg
    FE4B99FB-7386-4276-ABFC-EABDC12EBD0B.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: JamesW
Thanks for the update. ?

So a bad bottle of Taylor strips. I wonder if sometime before getting to you it was stored improperly or exposed to conditions that made it go bad?

Have you contacted Taylor yet about your updated results?

I have not. I’ll try to call them tomorrow.

The bad strips were at a local shop in cypress Texas. Bottle was sealed and Taylor didn’t indicate they were old or anything else.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Definitely give them a call.

I just ended up buying all of the items needed for the drop test. If your testing with the tf100 you will have some of the required regents already.

I think I had to buy 3 items, link below.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.