Booster Pump Died - What would you do?

Thurston

Bronze Supporter
May 19, 2017
RI
Hi guys. The booster pump for my polaris cleaner died and I'm trying to figure out my options. SWG 40K+ inground gallon pool with a sand filter. The main pump is working fine and the booster is only used for the polaris. I've confirmed the pump is getting power, and replaced the capacitor. Should I:

1. Replace the pump with a Polaris PB4-60, which I *think* is an equivalent pump. $250 shipped:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IYSVX2Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2LLS7SYKCBWI8&psc=1

2. Try to repair the pump, or maybe try to replace just the motor. I'm handy but don't yet know what goes into doing this. I found what I think is the correct replacement motor (Century A.O. Smith B625 Pool Cleaner 3/4 HP Replacement Motor, 6.4/12.8A 115/230V) for $162:
http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Cent...g_1095&xzm2=&utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=cse

3. Or should I think about replacing my main pump with a mulit speed pump that can also handle the polaris cleaner?

Obviously I can get by without a polaris cleaner, but it really is nice to have and I'd like to get it up and running again before the short season is over. What should I do?

3. Isn't a viable option from a cost perspective for a polaris. The added costs of the regular pump isn't a wise financial choice. Also, the polaris it is designed to be used with the booster pump to give it the pressure it needs to run effectively.

I'll throw out a 4th option, buy a robot. No need to have a booster pump, so lower electricity costs. You have a robot that will climb walls and scrub them which will reduce the need to brush your pool. It uses less electricity than a polaris.

I had a polaris and there was always something needing to be fixed or replaced. I love my robot!

I've looked into the robots a little bit, seems like they all have reliability problems and the polaris is just so easy to throw in and leave it in if I'm not using the pool for a few days. Mostly, I can't shell out $1000 or so right not, but glad to hear it's working for you and I'll definitely revisit in the future.

Hello, a fourth option is to look into a robot cleaner. Search for threads by Geebot for his reviews of robots. This is a more expensive option, but the reviews are good and the ability to clean the pool without running any pumps can save a lot of money.

Sorry - please ignore. I got sidetracked while posting ;)

If money is tight, you can use a manual vacuum for the rest of the season.

There are lots of folks here with robots and the highly recommended ones don't have any issues as far as I can tell. They are expensive. You are not supposed to leave them in pool but a lot of us do leave them in.

I'm not a pump/motor expert, but I have read a few threads ;) If you replace the just the motor, make sure you also replace the shaft seal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.