Bonding metal scuppers really necessary?

Rocker4444

Jan 19, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
I have a recently built gunite pool with raised spa. The spa has 2 spillovers that are currently tiled inside with no lip. The spillway water has a nice arc, but also dribbles and saturates the stone face of the spa.
Now I’d like to buy and install copper spillway scuppers to better sheet the water and keep it from running back and saturating the stone wall.
The problem is that I can’t easily bond new metal scuppers since the pool is already built and the bonding wire is buried beneath pavers, etc. The pool was properly bonded when built (rebar tied to equipment, etc. with copper wire and bonding lugs) but it is now inaccessible.

So, since the pool shell and the water running over the spillway is already bonded, do I REALLY need to bond the scuppers? How much risk is there if this is the only unbonded metal item?

Current spillway:
FA31B64B-C49A-4273-963E-95BA3A314ED8.png

Desired metal scupper insert:
1E22357C-6CBF-4418-BDD8-66FE9FDE7561.jpeg

I would assume if the water is bonded you're probably ok but I'll let others chime in here. I'm not convinced that copper is the material to use as it'll leach metals into the mix. Maybe some stainless.....

Apparently even 316 stainless will succumb when constantly submersed in pool water.

As far as bonding is concerned, Your building/electrical codes may specify exactly what is required for compliance.

The copper will be fine as long as it develops (or comes established with) a good patina of oxide (reddish/brown color) and no one pours anything acidic on it. You could also seal the metal surface prior to installation. There are metal sealers that are used on wrought iron gating all the time to lock in the “rust” color once it develops.

Just be sure no one plans to swim under the scupper as you’ll get a nice bump on your head if you bang into it when popping up out of the water.

As far as bonding goes … I personally wouldn’t bother but code probably says otherwise. I can’t imagine how a stray voltage would develop on a scupper in that configuration but code rarely cares about reality, only liability. So do whatever the code expects you to do. If it means drilling down into the spa shell to find a piece of rebar to connect a wire to, then so what you gotta do.

No one ever won an argument with an inspector by saying, “…. But, but, but this guy online said it was ok …

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hmmm I wonder if there’s a non metal material you can use to accomplish this…something plastic or tile/stone? Though perhaps that might not last as long

My scuppers are not bonded, FWIW. And I passed all inspections. But I don't know how the code reads about metal objects in contact with the water. And after thinking about this how does the code address temporary installed items such as volleyball/basketball poles, or moveable umbrellas?

I really should read the code someday.

--Jeff

I'm far from an expert, but the answer might just be in this video. I'd say if your water is bonded, so is the scupper. Watch what happens to Mike Holt swimming in water intentionally charged with 120V.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.