Bonding Intex Sand Filter and Pump

dandaluz

Oct 19, 2021
NJ
Hi Everyone,

I recently replaced an old Hayward pump, that stopped working, with an Intex pump and filter for my above ground 12x8x54 pool. (It's a small pool but perfect for me. :) ). Anyway, the old pump had a bonding lug on it that the ground wire connected to and everything was good. All I see with the Intex pump is plastic with no clear way to connect the ground wire to it. As I understand it, this needs to be in place for obvious safety reasons. I called Intex in California and they basically said that they recommend that the filter only be run when no one is in the pool. I saw something in these forums about double insulated pumps not needing to be bonded to the grid, so I asked Intex if this particular pump was double insulated. The answer was no. I'm sure someone else has come across this and found some solution. I'd like to connect the ground wire to the pump just as on the Hayward and be able to run the pump with people in or out of the pool. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Danny

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP.

It sounds like you are calling your #8 care copper bonding wire a ground wire. Bonding and grounding are two different things for different safety purposes.

Connecting the bonding wire to a pump not made to be bonded can create more safety problems then you solve.

I would run the pump when people are not in the pool or get a more appropriate pump for your pool.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply and the link! I'm definitely not the most informed when it comes to this stuff. Always looking to learn something new. I'm probably going to end up switching this out for a Hayward, as you suggested.

Danny

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.