Bonding/Grounding wet niche question

May 10, 2016
atco
I had my pool light replaced by a small pool company in 2018. It is a wet niche Hayward 120v light. It has recently started leaking. I removed the light to see what is going on and I see an insulated green wire inside the niche attached to a lug. But it's cut off clean and not attached to anything on the other end. Is this a secondary ground? Is my light unsafe ?? Thanks in advance

It's a supplemental ground.

The niche should be bonded from the back and the light cord should contain a ground wire.

So, it should be bonded and grounded.

The NEC feels that the ground in the light cord is too small and they wanted the manufacturers to increase the size of the wire but the manufacturers objected.

So, the compromise was to add an additional supplemental ground.

Since it is not code compliant, you should leave the light disconnected from power until you you can connect the wire as required.

Alternatively, you can switch to a low voltage light that does not require a ground.

Reactions: chilicheeze
Are you saying that it's connected in the niche but not in the junction box?

If yes, you should be able to connect it to the ground lug in the junction box.

Maybe post a picture if you think it will help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.