Bonding/Grounding Issue

Feb 6, 2017
Dania, FL
Hello,

I am new the forum and have been reading up about bonding. My pool is 3 years old and has everything bonded together. I have never felt any electrical shock when I was in or around the pool. My issues arise when I come to clean the filter or the pump, I get light electrical shock at times when by the equipment pad, even when the breaker to all equipment is shut off. If I am standing on the pad and also touch the a copper water line I also get a slight shock. Is there a way to bond the equipment pad? My pad is located very close to my service entry into the house, so I don't know if this would be stray voltage? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Josh

If that copper line your touching is the water line for the house and that line is also being used in the house as a grounding point, there could be another device/appliance inside that is faulty and causing a back feed (leakage) to the copper ground pipe.

Sounds like you have a potential between the water pipe and the pool area. I'd suggest running a bond wire between the pool bond grid and the water pipe. That will zero out the potential between the two.

Also, ALL the equipment on and around the pad should be bonded. And Ideally the concrete pad itself should have the reinforcement steel bonded to the pool grid.

I'd be concerned that your service ground is inadequate. A copper water line is often grounded or even the source of ground to a house, but your copper line is clearly at a different electrical potential than the earth near your service entrance. I think this is a home electrical problem that isn't pool related.

Remember that bonding is a protective action. If there is voltage on that pipe, the source of the voltage needs to be determined and fixed. Bonding would just mask the problem.

Yesterday I shut off the main power and all breakers inside the house and still have the issue. It's not only with the copper but also sometimes will the water that is in the pump. Th equipment pad is not bonded, is there a way todo that after the fact?

Bonding the equipment pad isn't required, and isn't the answer. You have some kind of ground problem, a fault with the power company service or one of your neighbors has some kind of electrical problem.

Bonding would only mask the issue.

I agree with JohnT. What you have is very probably not related to your pool and bonding the equipment pad will not resolve it.

It sounds like you have a problem with the power company lines. I suspect the reason you are not feeling in the pool is because the pool is properly bonded and that is masking the situation.

I would try calling the power company out and see what they find. They may be able to tell you the source of the voltage. I would suspect a nearby transformer. Your power company may say its normal and they won't (or can't) fix it. Have you used a multi meter to determine how much voltage it is?

I had an old electrical main panel so I am getting that changed out and the new code requires 2 ground rods so they will be installing those with new clamps to the cooper piping. I will touch base once this is completed to let you know what happens.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good to know.

We have electrical issues here where nobody takes responsibility. Stray voltage that the power company can measure but can't fix. They tried to blame the phone line. One is DC one isn't. It was epic. But what we learned?......we have stray voltage and that just isn't always fixed by the power company. Bottom line ?.......make sure your properly bonded with pool and deck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.