Bonding an Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump

LizzyA

May 14, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Hi Everyone!
Has anyone attached a bonding lug to an "Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 2800 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI" ? If so, how? It's plastic as far as I can tell, but I don't believe it's double insulated and would need to be bonded? Am I missing something?

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Lizzy

A lot of the Intex equipment is double insulated and doesn't require a bond nor does it have a bonding connection. If it doesn't have a bonding point and the manual doesn't say to bond it specifically don't bond it.

Thanks Cjadamec! The weird thing is they do sell a model (I think it's a cartridge type) and it specifically says "double insulated", but this one (the sand filter) does not. There is also nothing in the owner's manual about bonding, and I can't locate a bonding point on the filter.

You didn't get the wrong filter you got a nice filter for your type of pool. You just don't need to bond it. That shouldn't stop you from installing a bond loop and bonding your water and running a bonding wire to where your pump will be. Down the road you may upgrade your pump or add something that needs to be bonded.

Any pool with over 42" of water per 2014 code is required to be bonded.

If a double insulated pump is used a wire from the bonding loop shall be run to the pump but not connected for future use in the event the pump motor is changed. Not a direct quote but that is in the paragraph in the code book referring to double insulated pumps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes you need to have a bonding grid around the pool. The bonding grid does more than just bond the pump. Even if you had no pump you are still safer with the area around the pool and the water being bonded.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.