Bonding above ground pool

Jan 11, 2019
NORTHBOROUGH
I am replacing a 24' round above ground pool with like. My previous pools were never bonded. I am going to bond my new pool and have a question for you. Info found so for indicates that a #8 solid copper wire needs to circle the pool with connection at 4 equidistant points. The wire is supposed to buried 4" deep and be 18" from the pool. Why 18" and not less??

Without getting technical, the measurement is based on the 'protection envelope' provided by the wire, which is about 2' or more around the wire. Placing it 18 to 24" from the pool wall means that the earth is bonded at least 4' from the water all the way around the pool, which is more than a normal step.

Is there a negative effect, if I place the surrounding wire 6" or maybe 12" from the pool?

There is somewhat (though slight). If you place it too close to the wall you could potentially step (or reach) a point outside the pool that has a different potential than the pool water and therefore be shocked. The makeup of the soil dictates how conductive it is and therefore how large the "protection envelope" around the bond wire is.

If you need to meet code, the bond wire will have to be pretty close to between 18" & 24" from the pool wall. [DISCLAIMER] I don't recommend it, but If you don't need to meet code and your soil is fairly conductive, then you could put it closer to the pool wall.