Bobe Fire and Water bowls

Hamandah

Jun 20, 2023
California
We are adding 2 fire/water bowls to our pool and the brand the pool builder uses are Bobe. But I called and he said for the color we are getting (powder coated dark brown) you cannot have a salt water pool. The water would ruin them for some reason.
I was leaning toward a salt water pool and wouldn’t necessarily want to have to do chlorine because of the firebowls.

SO, does anyone have any experience with this or any more info on this? Are there other brands of fire/water bowls that this wouldn’t be an issue?

Hey Mrs H and Welcome !!!

Poor quality materials will weather in either pool. The long dry seasons in CA will allow the salt you add (chlorine is a salt) to reach salt pool levels. It's still only 10% of seawater and not an issue. But say 'salt pool' and everyone loses their mind.

Reactions: Hamandah
We installed a Bobe water pot when we built our salt pool back in 2016. By the next year, the coating was flaking off. It was a copper pot with the power coating just on the lip and outside. Bobe originally wanted to replace it with a stainless steel one and said they had issues with the power coated copper. You can see my thread on it here: (Stainless Steel Water Pot). They did replace it under warranty with a new pot that is power coated inside and out. I am not sure if it is all copper or stainless since it is all power coated. We have not had any issue with the new pot since it was put in. YMMV.

full

We installed a Bobe water pot when we built our salt pool back in 2016. By the next year, the coating was flaking off. It was a copper pot with the power coating just on the lip and outside. Bobe originally wanted to replace it with a stainless steel one and said they had issues with the power coated copper. You can see my thread on it here: (Stainless Steel Water Pot). They did replace it under warranty with a new pot that is power coated inside and out. I am not sure if it is all copper or stainless since it is all power coated. We have not had any issue with the new pot since it was put in. YMMV.

full
Interesting! Great info thank you.
When I called them they said they’ll only powder coat the stainless steel ones. That must have changed since you bought the original one since they probably had a lot of issues..
so you have a powder coated one and have a salt water pool? Did they tell you they don’t work with salt water pools? Just wondering because the guy made sure I knew that and I noticed it also says no salt water for powder coated ones in their brochure. Your new ones are looking great still?

Hey Mrs H and Welcome !!!

Poor quality materials will weather in either pool. The long dry seasons in CA will allow the salt you add (chlorine is a salt) to reach salt pool levels. It's still only 10% of seawater and not an issue. But say 'salt pool' and everyone loses their mind.
Thank you! Still figuring out my way around this forum! 😌😌

It sounds like a lot of the pool builders try to not have you use salt water?
I need to search through the group to find more info on that. I’m not sure which is best!

It sounds like a lot of the pool builders try to not have you use salt water?
It's mixed for sure. In TX they are 96% against them. Lol.

We moved after 8.5 years, but my ladder, light niche and all the screws around the pool were day 1 shiny when we left. If they were lesser quality they wouldn't have known the difference between 5%-7% of seawater salinity and 10%. They just would have rusted from the moisture.

Interesting! Great info thank you.
When I called them they said they’ll only powder coat the stainless steel ones. That must have changed since you bought the original one since they probably had a lot of issues..
so you have a powder coated one and have a salt water pool? Did they tell you they don’t work with salt water pools? Just wondering because the guy made sure I knew that and I noticed it also says no salt water for powder coated ones in their brochure. Your new ones are looking great still?
Yes, we have a saltwater pool and they still look good after 7 years. I don’t recall them mentioning problems with saltwater when we installed it, just problems with the coating adhering to the copper. I’m guessing as long as the coating does not get compromise, they should be fine.

full
Is this the midnight powder coat color?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.