Blue pool but still very cloudy

May 28, 2018
IL
I've had my pool open for several weeks now. It didn't take long to get rid of the green water. It turned blue within a few days. Unfortunately, it has remained so cloudy I cannot see the bottom.
I just received the TF-100 kit today. I'm a bit overwhelmed because I've never tested my own pool.
Where do I start?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Start with a full set of test results of course :mrgreen:

Here are more detailed instructions: Extended Test Instructions
And there are Youtube videos of all the tests linked from tftestkits.net

Likely you will need to follow the SLAM Process process since the water is cloudy.
And perhaps your filter will need attention ... what kind of filter do you have?

I have a doughboy sand filter with 7 position valve. We just put new sand in it this year. I kept it running 24/7 for two weeks straight. And I backwashed at least 2x a day.
I will jump into the testing (nervously).

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_3594.jpg

Note that sand filters do a little better when they are dirty, so you might be cleaning it too often.
We recommend filter cleaning when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

Depending on the test results (and an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test), you may consider this to speed clearing up the cloudy water: Add DE to a Sand Filter

Also, for the future, sand does not wear out. Typically no need to replace it.

Thank you for the input! I'd read some other threads regarding cloudy pools. Some advice was given to backwash a few times a day and run the pump! I didn't post anything until I received my kit.

Here are my results from the test I just did.
FC 12
CC .5
TC 12.5
CH 500
TA 100
CYA 50

Suggestions?

I think you need to continue to SLAM, which means raising FC to 20. May want to let it drop to 10 or below first, so you ca; get an accurate PH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok! I see that now. Thank you!!

Is there anything I should do to lower the CH?

I am needing to add water to the pool. We've had some humid days here. I will fill it up and then retest this afternoon. If the FC level drops will I need to test ph level first thing?

Nah, you don’t have to worry too much about CH since you have vinyl pool. Might want to test your fill water to see what effect it will have on your pool water.

Now I am going to disagree with Kelly a bit :D

People with vinyl pools still need to worry about CH when it gets on the high side. Yours is not super high at this point, but you will want to keep an eye on the pH and not let it get about 8. If you add water and as you get rain, the CH should likely drop some.

I started out with the bags of shock from Walmart. I used around 12 bags (over a course of a week or so). Since then I've only been using liquid chlorine. And I started on my pool the weekend of Mother's Day. So, it's been on ongoing fight this year.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not green anymore. No sign of living algae.

Living algae can also cause cloudy water.

What is a "bag of shock"? ;)
There are at least 4 different chlorine compounds that are sold in bags ... we need to know which one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.